Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Switching to sky? - Two different answers from Sky!

This is a discussion on Switching to sky? - Two different answers from Sky! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I am currenty in a contract with another broadband provider until 28th June. I have written to cancel it ...

tigs78 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Switching to sky? - Two different answers from Sky!

Hi

I am currenty in a contract with another broadband provider until 28th June. I have written to cancel it giving the required 30 days notice. They have provided me with my MAC which expires 28th June.

I rang Sky a week or so ago to ask when I should 'order' the broadband and they said it's taking, on average, 15 days so to 'order' 15 days before my current provider is due to end so hopefully I wouldn't be without broadband.

I rang tonight aswell to see if it was still 15 days as if it was longer I would order sooner, the person I spoke to insisted that I should ring on the 28th June itself and that hopefully it would be switched the same day. He was adamant that he was right but I'm inclined to believe the first person!

Does any one have any experience or knowledge of switching? If so can you tell me who was right?!

Also can someone please tell me whether you have to to plug your sky box into the phoneline as part of the contract? I know you have to take out a 12 month contract with Sky TV when you get the broadband and when I had my first 12 months with Sky I had to have the Sky box plugged into the phone line aswell.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts
      Last edited by tigs78; 03-06-07 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Thought of another question!

2. Advertisement
      dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Switching to sky? - Two different answers from Sky!

hi you dont need to plug your phone back into your sky box if it's outside the 12 months [as u are not restarting your sky contract your just upgrading it to bb]also i would go with the first guy [15 days b4 [that way they have plenty of time if htey mess up]

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can I ask who your current provider is (primarily, is it LLU or not? LLU mac codes are still routinely rejected)

Activations recently have been improved to 10 days. You should use the MAC code now - that way you'll be paying for 2 service providers for a few weeks, but you can sleep happy knowing if Sky screw up the activation you have a fall-back provider.

As with the other topic i posted in today, once you've placed an order, wait 2 days - then ring 08705 515 515 options 1 then 1 then 3 to get to Broadband Provisioning. Ask them for a progress check on the order to see if there's been any errors.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies....

I'm with Utility Warehouse at the moment paying 22 for 1mb broadband so am keen to move to Sky as you can imagine! As far as I'm aware it's not LLU.

Thanks for the tip about waiting 2 days aswell, will definitely do that.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

[as u are not restarting your sky contract your just upgrading it to bb]
      I am not sure this is correct. I have seen on the forum, a post from a user who was told, if he wanted to pay up his Broadband account to get out of the contract, he also had to pay up the TV account. The inference was that when you signed up for 12 months broadband, it also extended your TV contract by the same amount. The poster was moving to another country, so could not take the transfer option. Maybe another member remembers this and knows the outcome?

I am fairly sure though, that keeping the digibox plugged in only applies to the initial 12 months TV contract. It may also apply if you are upgrading your TV equipment.
      So much of the details are in very small print

DonnieDarko is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01227 - Canterbury
      Broadband ISP: 10 weeks of no broadband- thanks Sky :(
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well i've been waiting 10 weeks for sky to clear up their errors.

i wish i had stayed with BT. no end in sight, and sky are uncontactable.

i may have to pay for a new line to be put in, as sky claim to be unable to supply a MAC code for me to transfer, and keep lying to me claiming to have cancelled to order, but their marker is still on my line.

even cutting off the line & reactivating it will apparently not work

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re:UPDATE Switching to sky? - Two different answers from Sky!

Just thought I'd update this in case anyone else had a similar query...

I rang Sky 15 days before my old service ended, my connection only took 10 days to sort out not the 15 that they said it might. No problems whatsoever whith the switch, simply connected their router as soon as my broadband stopped working when trying to connect using my old equipment (which was the date which Sky had said it would be in their letter).

So far so good, they say you get what you pay for but I'm very happy paying 0 instead of 22 and I get double the speed I used to - top marks to Sky!

LinkBacks (?)