Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection problems with laptop and desktop (help plz)

This is a discussion on Connection problems with laptop and desktop (help plz) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hiya, I have sky connect set up with the wireless router (DG834GT) it came with. I have a laptop upstairs ...

manhole11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection problems with laptop and desktop (help plz)

Hiya,

I have sky connect set up with the wireless router (DG834GT) it came with. I have a laptop upstairs and a desktop downstairs, both have excellent conncection to the router. Problem is however that when the laptop is on upstairs the connecetion completely dies downstairs even tho signal strenght stays the same. Even if the laptop upstairs is just on, not even being used the connection downstairs slows down to a crawl, most pages wont even load, forget about downloading anything. But as soon as the laptop upstairs is off the connection downstairs returns to normal.

What could be causing this?

It seems like the router or something else isn't working properly, whatever it is it's very annoying !! The only "changes" i've done is set up portforwarding for uTorrent.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connection problems with laptop and desktop (help plz)

Are both desktop and laptop utilising the wireless access of the router or is one or both wired directly to the router? I am guessing they are wireless as you say they have an "excellent" connection to the router. Try using a wired connection to the one of them to see what happens.

It also may be an idea to change the wireless channel in the router to see what happens, I have problems with Channel 11 and have to set my router to Channel 6.

Was this issue evident before you set up port forwarding?