Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Networking Problems

This is a discussion on Networking Problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey all, me again! Right, I have 3 computers, 2x XP and 1x ME. I want to network them all ...

rp07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Networking Problems

Hey all, me again!

Right, I have 3 computers, 2x XP and 1x ME. I want to network them all together which I was able to do with my old router. I can access the Internet on all of them (not great on the 2nd XP, but I will look into that).

So how do I get them networking again, i.e me being able to print from this computer with the printer connected to the ME and to get a file from the other XP onto my XP

I look forward to a respose,

Rob

2. Advertisement
      IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: Networking Problems

All i did with a similar setup was make sure all pc's have ipx/spx protocol on them and file and printer sharing. Make sure the folder or drive you want to view / copy files to is shared by right clicking on it and selecting sharing and security and share the drive / folder on the network.

Other than that just make sure all 3 pc's are showing in your router attached devices or wirlessly, also make sure you have assigned 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.4 in the dhcp config part of your router.

Thats all i got and it works fine using 2 desktops and 1 laptop.

Good luck

Ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Networking Problems

Thanks for the reply.

Anychance you can go into more detail with how you do the ipx/spx protocol. I have files which are ready to share, from the previous rooter, i.e. Shared Pictures, Music and some Work stuff.

I have .2 .3 .4 for my attached devices, but I dont understand the next stage you said.

Thanks alot
      Rob

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

its the ipx/spx protocol in the local area connection your router uses for the network.

On windows XP goto control panel and network connections. In there right click on local area connection and select properties, the window that is shown is the protocols used for windows to communicate. you should have all the boxes ticked and you should have one saying IPX/SPX/NetBIOS compatible transport protocol like i said make sure they are all ticked obviously including file and printer sharing. If some are not installed just click on install and for file and printer sharing select client and you'll find file and printer sharing in there, For IPX/SPX/NetBIOS compatible transport protocol select install again and select protcol and it should be in there.

When installed your pc should share files.

Try it between both the xp machines first to make sure they work then set about the ME machine ( which can be a pain ). Also if it does not work then goto network connections again in the control panel and select network setup wizard and select this computer connects to the internet through a gateway and let it run the wizard ( you may have to do this on both XP machines )

1 more thing. Make sure the folders you have shared have the picture of the hand resembling the file sharing is set on this folder.

Let me know if it works.

Ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right, I have done that and not much has changed.

On the other XP computer, it recognises mine, but wont allow me to access any files on it (You do not have permission....)

On the ME computer, I installed the IPX/SPX/NetBIOS and when the PC loads up, I now get promted to enter a password and network name, which I dont know.

The ME computer doesnt access the network tho.

Cheers

marrtin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The ME computer does not need a password. Just leave blank and click OK. Windows will continue to load.

You need to set the sharing permissions of the drives you wish to share on the network. Open My Computer on each machine and right click against each drive. Select Sharing and security. Follow the prompts.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Delete this
      Last edited by rp07; 07-06-07 at 01:43 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Its just annoying every time you turn it on, getting that promt up and my parents are wondering what its for.

Is there any way to turn it off then?

Still cant get it networking ...

jonny1st is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

not really a sky issue go to netgear but. to set ur ip addresses from the router is a bit too much detail to go into about IP reservations related to MAC addresses, if u want to know PM me. easiest way if u don't connect wirelessly is set ur IP addresses on each computer again for details PM. ONce they prove no conflicts you've gotta go to ur disk and allow sharing. Do this through computer management or follow the wizard. make sure each computer has a unique hostname. ie. one guy bought three acer laptops same time and all were given the same computer names so they couldn't communicate. It pays not to buy in gibraltar. Ur main aim when u get file and printer sharing installed is to at least be able to see the other computers in my network places. If it's not installed or u can't login again this is the most important number in ur life (except lottery numbers) 08705010100
      It doesn't get better than this band lol