Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Should I Upgrade to MAX?

This is a discussion on Should I Upgrade to MAX? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; wait a minute. BT are trying to charge YOU for a new master socket when it is thiers? I mean ...

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Should I Upgrade to MAX?

wait a minute. BT are trying to charge YOU for a new master socket when it is thiers?

I mean BT are responsible for the first socket in your house as this is what your phone plugs into, If they were not responsible for it then how would you plug your phone into the socket if they didn't fit one ? The only reason they would charge is either if it you messed with the master socket and caused a fault or if you mentioned your broadband was bad and not your voice calls. If you only mentioned voice calls ( lied a little ) then they would have to fit a new socket for free if they found a fault with it.

I would no way pay anything for a socket that bt have to provide.

Good luck with it all.

p.s if the bt guy connects a ringer wire ( i.e more than 2 wires connected ) then remove the extra wire yourself only leaving wires to connectors 2 and 5.

Ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

it may be they're responsible for the master socket too (i may have got that wrong) but any internal wiring is your issue not theirs. once the line is in the property its up to you....

rubbish i know

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickbiker View Post
      Hi - I have taken the faceplate off the wall and there are just three wires going to the socket. It all looks ancient and dirty. I reported noise on the line to BT, they suggested replacing the socket with a new Master Socket at 65. Once they have done this, I will refuse to pay, as it is their equipment that is ancient and at fault! Hopefully the engineer will be helpful and check the wiring.

I have no extensions, and have disconnected everything except the modem and it is still poor!

BT come on 13th June - I will let you know!

Thanks
      Should only be 2 wires connected pins 2 and 5.

nickbiker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01483
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      you're better off runnin a longer ethernet cable rather than RJ11, had one person today that went from 8Mbps to 800Kbps!! removing this got full speed back!!

also, BT aren't at fault for wiring in your house, everything from test socket (or where line enters the house) is the responsibility of the home owner. just so you know...
      Hi!

Thanks for the help! The cable that came with the Sky-router is 1.5m long and looks like a cheap RJ11-to-RH11 cable (with four pins connected). I am not looking to make this longer; I had read that a higher quality, shielded RJ11 cable could improve things (rf noise, etc,). I also read that better results could be had if you only had a two wire cable (but then that supposes that the output from the filter is on more than two wires?).

BT are responsible for the wiring into my house and up to the master socket. The master socket in my house is ancient and when I look behind, the connectors are corroded and the wiring looks old. I get a crackle on the line. I reported this as a fault to BT (I did not mention Broadband), however they say that I have to pay for a Master Socket upgrade. I could not be bothered to argue to the call-centre - but I will not pay any charge, if the engineers tells me that the old BT wiring or old wall socket is a probable cause to a bad line.

Sky simply say that it is nothing to do with them ...

Sky told me today: "that a Regrade (automatic calibration of your line) has now taken place, and this should have now made your connection more stable as well as increased your speed. "

Needless to say, there is no change!

Thanks.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IanMax View Post
      wait a minute. BT are trying to charge YOU for a new master socket when it is thiers?

Ian
      Ian - exactly! They can hardly say you are FORBIDDEN by contract to touch their wires/box, but then charge you to repair THEIR possibly faulty property. I reported only the voice line as a fault, and never mentioned broadband. There is little point arguing with the call-centre, who's English was not 100%. I will ask the engineer for his view and also take photographs. I will not pay the BT charge, should they decide to make one!

If I disconnect the extra wire, does this cause any problems with exisiting telephones, etc.?

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If I disconnect the extra wire, does this cause any problems with exisiting telephones, etc.?[/QUOTE]

No its a bell/ring wire for extensions but isn't required for modern phones. But can cause alot of noise on the broadband.

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No it causes no problems as when the ring wire was in use ( about 10+ years ago ) phones did not have there own ring signals, so old phones had to have this wire connected, but with todays technology you dont need it at all. I disconnected all my wires except for the main line comming into the house which is pins 2 and 5 on all master sockets so you wont be doing anything that nearly every body on here has done allready.

let us know when you see a change in speed and tell us what you did or the bt guy did. It may help others.

Ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

I thought you might like to see this letter I received from Sky - bless them! They are trying - I think?!

Needless to say, whatever they think they have done, has made no difference to my speed which is about 850K - when I should be getting 3M at my line attenuation.

I have to wait for BT to arrive and I will chat to the engineer. Once the wiring and Master Socket are new - if the speed is still slow - then I will have to try to get the problem resolved by Sky!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IanMax View Post
      An attenuation of 56 should allow for 3mbs on whatever package you are one, The noise margin of 6db is what is keeping you from getting a faster speed.
      Ian
      Ian

My latest stats show a noise margin of 22.5db (up from the 6db):

Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 416 Kbps, Downstream rate = 896 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 22.8 14.0
      Attn(dB): 56.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 14.4 3.7
      Max(Kbps): 3968 992
      Rate (Kbps): 896 416

If the noise margin is so improved, and the "max" figure above now shows 3968k, how come the rate is still just 896k?

Is there something that needs resetting in the router or by Sky?

Thanks!!

jonny1st is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yeah to be honest ur stats are crap. Attenuation of 56 is way too high if ur under 2km from exchange. Get rid of extensions and change that filter first. Make sure the rest of the sockets have working filters. Ur SNR is too low but i'd be more worried about the high attenuation.
      It doesn't get better than this band lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast