Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Synch and Router = No IP address

This is a discussion on Synch and Router = No IP address within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Wondering if any other poor unfortunate has experienced this issue with Sky. My line was live on Friday and synching ...

moob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Synch and Router = No IP address

Wondering if any other poor unfortunate has experienced this issue with Sky.

My line was live on Friday and synching at 15.5Mb - I thought 'great! must go down and check it out'.

However, I found out, after repeated phone calls to 'technical' support, that someone forgot to scan the barcode on my (and several others) router before sending it out to my address. This has resulted in my router not being recognised by Sky's network, and hence the reason why I'm posting via my neighbour's wireless!

Now, it appears this couldn't have happened at a worse time, as instead of simply adding my MAC address onto their network, Sky decided to contact Netgear and ask them to clarify that the router I have, is actually one of theirs, so they can add me onto the network.

Problem is, Netgear don't do bank holidays...

Cue today, still however without my connection...have been told to wait it out until they 'add me on' etc...

Not the best start.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Synch and Router = No IP address

Thats a problem I can't say I have ever read about before, still look on the brightside it can only get better and it looks as though your neighbour is helping you out by letting you borrow his connection.

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

thats a new problem among many i bet they didnt get trained for that one lol (joke)

its all getting to much

1 simple question

ever since i have been on the internet maybe 98 (not 90 like "PACK IT IN" saturday-private joke) why have i NEVER had trouble with any isp i have been with throughout those years come to sky and its a nightmare im stuck in for the next damm year i know people say its because of this and that but its rubbish simple as that router problems outages bad CS bad TECH how much crap is someone supposed to take

but as i said your one is a new one on me i wish you luck in the future of SKY BROADBAND

Oneiros is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry to provide bad news man but you have not been told what could be considered the whole truth there.

If your router isn't registered then all it would take to get it resolved is to take down your MAC address off of the sticker on the broadband box and enter it into Sky's systems.

The two scenarios in which this wouldnt work is if there is an issue with Sky's system, in which case they would pretty much have to get a new one sent out, or if, as they said Netgear had completely screwed up, it would still be the case that they need to send out a new router.

For them to tell you that they would have to contact Netgear is complete rubbish and if it isnt resolved yet I would phone back up and tell them that if the router doesnt work, you want a replacement.

Of course it is perfectly possible that it has nothing to do with your box not being on their system, as what they have told you is certainly questionable for what it is, it could be utter nonsense and it may simply be that your line has been set faster than it can take and it is this that is causing your broadband box to fail the authentication to get a user session.
      Last edited by Oneiros; 30-05-07 at 01:04 AM.

Sparky196 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had the same issue, my first router was faulty so i was sent a new one. The new one i received wouldn't give me an IP address so i phoned SKY and they said the barcode didn't read and it wasn't registered on there system. Tier 3 said it would be quicker to send out another one. Waited 4 days for the next one to arrive but it didn't so i phoned Sky who had no record of them sending one out to me. They then ordered another for me and i obtained the tracking number for Parcel Force.

During this time i managed to obtain the passwords from my original faulty router and access the internet using my previous ISP's router proving the connection was working. I then extracted the password from the other router and the internet didn't work. I received my third router this week, plugged it in and works perfectly.

I would suggest phoning them and getting them to send another one out.

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky196 View Post

I would suggest phoning them and getting them to send another one out.

i know that feeling

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Since it is perfectly possible (and documented on this site) to use any router you like on Sky's network .... what difference does Sky "not having your MAC address on their system" make ?

If this was the reason, surely no one would be able use anything other than a Sky router ?

Or am I missing something

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

what difference does Sky "not having your MAC address on their system" make ?
      The MAC of the router is it's user name, if this is not entered into the system the router will not connect. Other routers will not connect unless they are given a Sky username/password, which in effect, fools the system into thinking the Netgear router is connected.

There are a few reports on the forum of new routers being unable to connect, so it seems that some may have passed through the net. The only way Sky can get them now, is to obtain them from Netgear.

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The MAC of the router is it's user name, if this is not entered into the system the router will not connect. Other routers will not connect unless they are given a Sky username/password, which in effect, fools the system into thinking the Netgear router is connected.

There are a few reports on the forum of new routers being unable to connect, so it seems that some may have passed through the net. The only way Sky can get them now, is to obtain them from Netgear.
      Ah, ok - that makes sense.

I thought the OP was inferring that Sky were using the physical MAC address of the router as well as the "your usename is based on the MAC address" method.

moob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

OK, all seems ok now - got activated at 3pm today.

I will of course be claiming back the large number of calls I had to make to that 0870 number, as it was entirely Sky's fault.

Thanks for all contributions.

Edit:

Apart from the fact my speedtests are poor as hell!

On Max, and haven't seen above 1Mb yet.
      Last edited by moob; 30-05-07 at 05:42 PM.