Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sky Down Again

This is a discussion on Sky Down Again within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Another link here: BBC NEWS | Technology | Tiscali e-mail 'hit' by spammers...

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Down Again

2. Advertisement
      Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Is there any likelihood that, when encountering an Error 300, I could get connected using a different router, as someone suggested earlier? I seem to be getting these errors more and more frequently, which is really galling because (a) my exchange was unbundled over 6 months ago yet they still haven't transferred me, (b) if you decide to ring Sky you take pot luck as to whether you get anyone who will even admit there is a problem (9 times of out 10 you seem to get some foreigner reading off a script) and (c) when they do take note, it just gets shuffled to a different Tier, who apparently will ring back in 5 days, who then appear to disappear into a black hole never to be heard from again.

I'm getting close to having been with them a year now, and I've constantly been making excuses for them to my irate O/H, but I'm losing patience now.

Joefi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Has anyone been having trouble again over the last few days?

Its stopped working every so often for about 5 minutes before I can connect to websites again, then yesterday evening it stopped working for about an hour, so I reconnected the router and that got it working again. But after trying it again this afternoon, it wouldn't connect for the next hour or so, so I had to reconnect it again to get it working.

Don't really wanna have to reconnect it every day just to get it working for a couple of hours

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Mine has been okay so far (fingers crossed) this afternoon, but this morning it took several restarts to get connected. Which isn't bad, actually, as often when I can't get connected with the Error 300 message, I could be offline for hours.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      Is there any likelihood that, when encountering an Error 300, I could get connected using a different router, as someone suggested earlier?
      I think you will find that this will not work as these problems are to do with issues on the actual network and nothing to do with your router.

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't know if this is the same problem, because I am on the mid package. I have been connected for about 10 weeks. Apart from a few initial teething problems (sorting noise margins, filtered faceplate etc) I have had a stable connection at about 7000kbps throughout this period. On Saturday (2nd June) morning I couldn't get an internet connection (error code 300 etc). Tried rebooting router. OK for the rest of the weekend. Monday morning same again. Tried rebooting twice, no joy. Rang Sky couldn't get through to Tech Help (queue too long), but customer services guy suggested I disconnect router for at least one hour before trying Tech Help again. Tried this. No joy first time. Tried again - got online again for the rest of the day. Tuesday morning same again. Tried unplugginhg for two hours - no joy. Tried again for several hours. Now OK again (Tuesday evening). I have set the target noise margin higher (thus giving a lower conenction speed) using Mognuts utility. I will see if this improves things.

jonny1st is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angusg65 View Post
      Hi, My BB went down again 2nite about 20.55 in Highcliffe,
      Any bodyelse got the same
      Connect outage, error 300 those times, wish i knew why but it tends to happen
      It doesn't get better than this band lol

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Further to my previous post, I have now been connected for 2 weeks without any problems. Setting a higher target noise margin (14dB) seems to have done the trick (at the expense of a slight reduction in connection speed). I have also found the RouterStats utility to be extremely useful for recording noise margin during the evening, to understand more clearly how it behaves. (For details see the "Recording Noise Margin" thread). I found there was a gradual reduction in margin from about 7.30 onwards, reaching a minimum at about 11:30 and then starting to increase again. I'm sure this effect is responsible for many of the connection problems people experience in the evening.
      Last edited by Steve case; 19-06-07 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Have now been connected 2 weeks without problems

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456