Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

help with setting up?

This is a discussion on help with setting up? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi i have set up the sky broadband box, turned on my computer...and nothing!the installation CD took 2 hours and ...

rosielee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

help with setting up?

Hi i have set up the sky broadband box, turned on my computer...and nothing!the installation CD took 2 hours and then i gave up with it, it hadnt even finished then, phoned tech support who said disc must be faulty, but that i dont need it anyway, they tried to change my IP number, reset box, line test, etc etc and then say that the box must be faulty and is not communicating with me computer and they will send me a new one in 7 days....are they just fobbing me off here?

it has created a LAN connection which it says is enabled and active, but when i click on it it says the IP is invalid,

i know nothing about computers, could someone please tell me if it really is a box fault, or if there is something im missing.

Thanks
      Rosie

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: help with setting up?

Hi

How is your router connected to the PC? is it by the ethernet cable that came with it?

1) Is the light on the router ie 1 2 3 4 on whichever number you have plugged this cable into the PC?

2) On the back of the PC where you have plugged the cable in is that lit up?

3) Are you on XP?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thankyou so much for helping!

it is connected with an ethernet cable, the number 1 is lit up, it is an old computer so it doesnt have any lights on it, and yep i am on XP

thanks!
      Rosie

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Click on Start and then find Control Panel and click on that, find Network Connections, click on that:

1) Find Local Area Connection, (if it says Disabled underneath it, right click and left click on enable) right click on it and then click on properties.

2) In the box this connection uses the following items, scroll down till you find Internet Protocol. Left click on it so it goes blue.

3) Underneath that, click on Properties

4) Make sure there is a tick in Obtain an IP address automatically

5) Make sure there is a tick in Obtain an DNS server address automatically

Then confirm on here that that is all done

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

murdock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Rosie, Welcome.

First, follow the advice from Newsreader.
      But also read the thread First Time Set Up.
      The link is at the base of this message.

If you follow the advice then first uninstall anything
      the Sky disc may have installed (especially McAfee) and use
      System Restore on XP to reset the computer to a point before
      you used the disc and knew the computer was working correctly.
      (System Restore is in the Performance and Maintence section
      of Control panel.)
      The disc may have changed some of the settings
      even though you wisely gave up on it.
      Last edited by murdock; 27-05-07 at 04:40 PM. Reason: revised

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yep, that is done (i have also tried to do the 192.168.0.1 thing in the address bar and it says it cant perform the search function)

i had to do a system restore anyways to get my dial up back as i had forgotten the password when the sky ppl telled me to delete it, and that was to 2 weeks ago, so i guess the disc hasnt done anything right?

i will check out that thread also,

thanks for helping!
      Rosie

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Just try this:

Open Internet Explorer, go to the tools at the top, left click on it and then choose Internet Options. Click on connections at the top, make sure there is a tick in Never dial a connection.

Towards the bottom on the right there is a Lan Settings button, click on that, make sure all the boxes on the left (3 of them) are all unticked. Close Internet Explorer, reopen it and then try typing 192.168.0.1 into the explorer bar.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok done that, when i type it in, it tries to search with it with a .com,.net,.org,.edu on the end, then it give me a box which says internet explorer could not open the search page and i have to click ok and it goes onto that page is unavailable again. in between trying all of the different endings, a nework connections box comes up and asks if i want to connect to one of the services- i have a dial up conection which i am using now, and also an old broadband one that doesnt work in there, but neither have got any firewall or antivirus stuff on anyway. so i cancel that and it just gives me the box saying it can open the search page??

rosie

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: help with setting up?

Do your 2 computers on bottom right near the clock ( local area connection ) still say invalid ip adress? If it does then right click on the two computers and goto status , then click on properties , in the "this connection uses the follwing items" click on "internet protocol (tcp/ip) and then click properties again , then make sure there is a dot in obtain and ip adress and obtain dns server, then in alternate configuration make sure automatic private ip adress is dotted. If they are already set like this then good. Now goto start settings and control panel and click on Network connections, Then goto network setup wizard, Click next , next again , and then click on this computer connects to the internet through a another computer or residential gateway click next and then enter whatever as the computer desciption, click next and then enter MSHOME as the Workgroup name. Now in the ready to apply network settings windows scroll down and make sure that the "connection to your network window has Local Area Connection in it. If so then click next, Wait 2 mins and click on dont create network disk just exit and apply or ok. Now you may need to reboot your pc but when it comes back you should be able to log into the router using 192.168.0.1 and your two computer icons should show as ip adress 192.168.0.2 or upto 192.68.0.10

Hope it works.
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks,

i have done this, but it still wont load up a page or allow me to look at anything when i type in 192.168.0.1 into the browser window.

on the properties...it still says invalid IP address on the support tab and says it is 0.0.0.0 even though i have tried to set it up in the other screen.

you think i am doing something wrong or is it the box?

Rosie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast