Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

help with setting up?

This is a discussion on help with setting up? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; oh and no on the connection status page it is exactly the same, except the IP address obviously so thats ...

rosielee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: help with setting up?

oh and no on the connection status page it is exactly the same, except the IP address obviously

so thats okay right?

2. Advertisement
      IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok so now can you view internet pages ?

or do you still get cannot find page etc..
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i still get the cannot find page...and it brings up the network connections box and all that is in it is the dial up that i am using right now....but on the network connections thru the control panel screen, i have internet connection and LAN2 both enabled

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: help with setting up?

All you should have is Local area connection remove everything else that you dont need ( i.e ) leave the Local area connection 2 and your dial up connection and thats it. Then open up Internet explorer and click on cancel to get the page cannot be displayed page and then click on TOOLS at the top of Internet Explorer then click on internet options. Then click on the connections tab . Make sure never dial a connection is dotted and click on LAN SETTINGS at the bottom of the connections screen. Make sure nothing is ticked or dotted. Click ok then apply.

Now goto your dial up connection in network connections and right click on it and click on cancel as default connection ( if highlighted )now click on ok . when you right click again on your dial up connection it will show make this connection the default. Dont click it just come out of network connections.

Now try closing yout internet explorer and re opening it you may still get the dial up connection box but just click settings and change the never dial a connection again and click apply or ok, and maybe if it comes up click try again .. Now do you get your homepage ?

Oh and obviously disconnect your dial up connection before trying internet explorer and the above info.
      :-)

( i hope so )
      Last edited by IanMax; 28-05-07 at 12:16 AM.
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

no!!!

still exactly the same...everything was already set up like that!

arrrrrrrgh

thanks, rosie

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Last try, goto 192.168.0.1 admin - sky router settings.

goto LANIP SETUP

Make sure yours reads like this >

LAN TCP/IP Setup

IP Address 192.168.0.1
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
      RIP Direction None
      RIP Version RIP-1

Use Router as DHCP Server Tick in box
      Starting IP Address 192.168.0.2
      Ending IP Address 192.168.0.10

Address Reservation BLANK

Now change whatever is different, and click on APPLY.

Then goto Attached devices and is your ip adress of your pc in there I.E 192.168.0.2

If no then come out of your router settings and go back to the LAN connection and remove the manual ip adress of 192.168.0.2 and select assign automatically to all again.

apply and ok and disconnect the network connection by right clicking on the two computers and click disable and then goto network connections again in control panel and right click on your local area connection and enable it.

It should assign you with either a 192.168.0.2 ip adress in the range of 2 to 10 i.e 192.168.0.10

if it does try your internet again.

If it does not work then i can only think of a firewall or mcafee / norton antivirus stopping the LAN connection. Did you get anything like these antivirus thingy's with your previous internet provider ?

you may want to try uninstalling them as when i worked for BTinternet many people had problems with thier firewalls or antivirus programs stopping the connection to the internet even though it was unistalled.

:-)

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

you are an absolute star!!!

i phoned sky again and got through to someone who knew what they were on about as opposed to last time i called. now i had all those settings from that page, they found out i could access the web via IP addresses but not by typing in pages....they got me to click someplace and NOW IT WOKRS!!!!!!!!!!!! i am on broadband!

thankyou SO much for all your help, i couldnt have worked it out without your help- i would have been waiting 7 days for this new box and still had the same problem!

thanks,
      Rosie

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

YAY.

Now remmeber that when other people have the same problem you have you are now Experienced enough to help

it only took since 3pm at the time of your first post i bet your eyes are square.

Enjoy.
      Last edited by IanMax; 28-05-07 at 12:49 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yep lol and my phone bill is now going to be huge eeek!

square eyes and a huge phone bill = angry face....not a good look lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123