Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Stable for 6 months now speed reduced

This is a discussion on Stable for 6 months now speed reduced within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok I have been using sky broadband on the max package since November last year and apart from a few ...

pau1777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton in Makerfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Stable for 6 months now speed reduced

Ok I have been using sky broadband on the max package since November last year and apart from a few initial problems I have been quite happy with the service.
      I am about 4.5-5km from the exchange so my speed is quite slow but I have had a stable 1.5mb connection since December.
      About 2 weeks ago I started to notice a few disconnections and my download speed dropping for no reason. I have not altered the wiring and I am still using the same wireless connection.
      I phoned sky thinking a fault had developed with my line and they would get BT to fix it and I would be back on my 1.5mb connection in no time. After the usual "troubleshooting" with tier1 and "have you tried rebooting your machine" a ticket was created and my problem was going to be passed to tier 3 who should call me back in 3-5 days. after a few days I had heard nothing but my speed had reduced further to 1mb.
      I phoned back and said that I had not heared anything and gave them my ticket number. I was told that my line had beed auto capped by tier 3 following a line test. I tried to explain that I had been using sky broadband for almost 6 months without this problem so why had my line been capped now.
      The lady did not really have any idea what I was talking about and ionsisted we go through the "trouble shooting" again reluctantly I agreed but after the third time she asked me to reboot my machine I told her that this was not going to make any difference at all the speed had dropped and I would like to know why.
      She said that she would again put a note on my account for tier 3 to contact me within 3 days, that was 10 days ago and still nothing!
      My line stats have not chanced since December

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1024 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.9 db 14.0 db

I was getting 1504kbps downstream and 512kbps upstream
      I have lost 0.5mb which I know is not much but it does make a difference to my connection.
      What can I do?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Stable for 6 months now speed reduced

could very well be the router.....have you another one to try?

also, doesn't mention if you're in the test socket or using an extention - might be worth trying it there and see if there's any difference

Thanks

Hi, Yes I have tried a different router and I did have the same problem.
      My router is connected to the master socket through a BT faceplate. I have also tried without the faceplate directly into the socket and had the same problem.
      Now sky have reduced my line speed the line does not disconnect as it did but this does not really answer the question why I did have a stable 1.5mb connection for 6 months and now I dont
      Do I need to contact sky again (it is costing me a fortune in call charges, each time I have called I have been on the phone for over an hour) and ask to speak to tier 3?
      Thanks again for any help
      Paul

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

IF the line has been reduced to make it more stable then only tier 3 can do anything about it, so yes you'd have to call back in...however, if ur noise margin is that low now then putting speed back up could possibly make things unstable - personally I always aim to have noise margins over 10 but the hardcore here would say I'm mad....from what I see, anything 6 and below will start to give issues

Thanks

Thanks for the info. As I said my line is stable now but it was jusrt as stable 3 weeks ago when I had a 1.5mb connection.
      I was promised that tier 3 would contact me and they have not
      I think something has happened to my line. I will have to phone up again and go through the "trouble shooting!"
      Thanks again for your help