Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

new to site.can you just have the router connected by ether wire

This is a discussion on new to site.can you just have the router connected by ether wire within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; new to site and after looking around can't find the info i am looking for,is it possible to have the ...

bern1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: brentwood
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

new to site.can you just have the router connected by ether wire

new to site and after looking around can't find the info i am looking for,is it possible to have the router connected by ether wire and not wireless.after reading this forum and seeing the problems that seem to exist,i want to try and avoid as many as possible.i am not that computer literate,and being over that magic age of 50 and disabled i just use the computer to keep in touch with the world.thanks for any help or pointing me to the right thread.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: new to site.can you just have the router connected by ether wire

Quote Originally Posted by bern1 View Post
      is it possible to have the router connected by ether wire and not wireless.
      It's the best solution if your computer is within convenient distance of the router. Simplicity, speed and reliability compared to wireless.

If your computer lacks an ethernet socket you can add a PCI NIC to a desktop model for about a fiver. If laptop, a USB or PCMCIA (aka PC Card) adapter costs between ten and thirty quid and is a doddle to fit.

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, If you mean ethernet cable then yes it is actually better just using the ethernet cable to your pc as you normally get a much better connection, All you have to do is assign your pc with the ip adress of 192.168.0.2 in the router properties typing 192.168.0.1 and using admin as the username and sky as the password. and all should be fine.

Ian
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

bern1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: brentwood
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for the replies,Ianmax i did mean ethernet cable.thanks for the advice,will be starting the process of ordering sky broadband tomorrow.