Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What to do now... >3 months with no working connection!

This is a discussion on What to do now... >3 months with no working connection! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've now been trying to get our ADSL working for over 3 months and i think I'm at the ...

nuskool is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What to do now... >3 months with no working connection!

Hi,

I've now been trying to get our ADSL working for over 3 months and i think I'm at the point of giving up. Basically the connection very rarely connects (once or twice a week for a few hours) and when it does the connection speed is awful.

I've been on the phone to Sky Tier 1 & 3 probably around 20+ times in total now and 90% of the time I've found them to be of no use at all (there are a few people i have spoken to that have been genuinely pleasant and helpful).

My main problem with the support system is that I have told Tier 1 (and Tier 3) that I am at work during the day and I can either be contacted on my mobile or after 6 on the landline. However tier 3 still try to call during the day and then automatically close the ticket when I can't be contacted. After waiting for 5 days for them to call I call Tier 1 back.... only to be told that the ticket is closed and I am required to answer a series of questions again before they will put me through to Tier 3. I'm getting VERY annoyed by these questions now as they are fully aware that I am in discussions with tier 3 and the resolution is going to be more complex than "try rebooting the rooter". Then finally i'm told they will put me through to tier 3 but they don't answer in the 2 minutes given. I am then told Tier 3 will contact me within 5 days. And so the cycle starts again... This is the most frustrating part of it all. Once I actually get to speak to someone from Tier 3 they are actually pretty helpful.

The first issue they spotted was that the line hasn't been enabled at the exchange. This was then fixed and the ticket closed even though the connection still didn't work.

So after ringing and getting frustrated a few more times they finally call and speak to my dad. This time they come to the conclusion that our alarm system (which is connected to the phone system) isn't filtered and this is the cause of the issue. As I was on holiday at the time my dad called and got the alarm company to come and fit a filter for the bargain price of 88 pounds.
      However this couldn't have been the issue as I have been testing the adsl in the master socket which bypasses even the alarm system. Once again even though the issue isn't resolved tier 3 closed the ticket. Grrrrrr.

This has been going on for 3 months now and I'm still no closer to getting the issue resolved. I have another open ticket with tier 3 but that was opened last week and they still haven't contacted me. I'm at the point of giving up but to be honest it's important to me that we get this connection up and running.

So a few questions...

1) Any ideas as to how I can try and get this issue resolved as currently it's stuck in limbo.

2) Anyone think i would be better going to another provider and if so do you think they would be more helpful in getting this issue resolved?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: What to do now... >3 months with no working connection!

When you say you tried it in the 'Master socket' do you mean tht test socket or just the front of the main socket?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was referring to the test socket that bypasses all extensions in the house.

petermk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: burslam
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: sky +hd
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nuskool View Post
      Hi,

I've now been trying to get our ADSL working for over 3 months and i think I'm at the point of giving up. Basically the connection very rarely connects (once or twice a week for a few hours) and when it does the connection speed is awful.

I've been on the phone to Sky Tier 1 & 3 probably around 20+ times in total now and 90% of the time I've found them to be of no use at all (there are a few people i have spoken to that have been genuinely pleasant and helpful).

My main problem with the support system is that I have told Tier 1 (and Tier 3) that I am at work during the day and I can either be contacted on my mobile or after 6 on the landline. However tier 3 still try to call during the day and then automatically close the ticket when I can't be contacted. After waiting for 5 days for them to call I call Tier 1 back.... only to be told that the ticket is closed and I am required to answer a series of questions again before they will put me through to Tier 3. I'm getting VERY annoyed by these questions now as they are fully aware that I am in discussions with tier 3 and the resolution is going to be more complex than "try rebooting the rooter". Then finally i'm told they will put me through to tier 3 but they don't answer in the 2 minutes given. I am then told Tier 3 will contact me within 5 days. And so the cycle starts again... This is the most frustrating part of it all. Once I actually get to speak to someone from Tier 3 they are actually pretty helpful.

The first issue they spotted was that the line hasn't been enabled at the exchange. This was then fixed and the ticket closed even though the connection still didn't work.

So after ringing and getting frustrated a few more times they finally call and speak to my dad. This time they come to the conclusion that our alarm system (which is connected to the phone system) isn't filtered and this is the cause of the issue. As I was on holiday at the time my dad called and got the alarm company to come and fit a filter for the bargain price of 88 pounds.
      However this couldn't have been the issue as I have been testing the adsl in the master socket which bypasses even the alarm system. Once again even though the issue isn't resolved tier 3 closed the ticket. Grrrrrr.

This has been going on for 3 months now and I'm still no closer to getting the issue resolved. I have another open ticket with tier 3 but that was opened last week and they still haven't contacted me. I'm at the point of giving up but to be honest it's important to me that we get this connection up and running.

So a few questions...

1) Any ideas as to how I can try and get this issue resolved as currently it's stuck in limbo.

2) Anyone think i would be better going to another provider and if so do you think they would be more helpful in getting this issue resolved?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
      i would say 1 tell sky your a mushroom and like to be placed in darkroom and fed on bull sh1t i told tier 3 this with my problem next day it was fixed but that was after 10 phone calls seams sky and v.m have same tech,s or cant be bothered with us

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You could do some self diagnose's with the help of this forum i.e.

1 : Is the router connecting to the exchange, is the internet light on and what dose the status page say connected? if so what is the SNR ratio and attenuation. If not what happens if you run the Sky test?

2: If connected you could extract detailed stats Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 and post them to see if they show anything.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you for the usual feedback (we'll call the "mushroom" idea Plan B!)

For the first time in a week it's actually connected (the internet light is on). So i used the tool and performed the diagnostic (see below).

The guy from tier 3 did say there was a lot of noise on the line which he eventually said was the alarm but that has been resolved now. Also as i used the direct master socket I don't believe the problem can be internal.

Anyway here are the results:

Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 128 Kbps, Downstream rate = 128 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 13.1 15.0
      Attn(dB): 58.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 12.6 1.1
      Max(Kbps): 416 960
      Rate (Kbps): 128 128
      G.dmt framing
      K: 5(0) 5
      R: 16 16
      S: 16 16
      D: 8 4
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 5 5
      M: 16 16
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 18.6666 18.6666
      L: 48 48
      D: 8 4
      Counters
      SF: 3575271 3575269
      SFErr: 15 4
      RS: 15194906 15194893
      RSCorr: 46285 650
      RSUnCorr: 37 0

HEC: 5 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 18348796 0
      Data Cells: 125204 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 5121 0
      SES: 5118 0
      UAS: 20592 0
      Total time = 1 days 45 min 29 sec
      SF = 3575271
      CRC = 15
      LOS = 8423
      LOF = 0
      ES = 5121
      Latest 1 day time = 45 min 29 sec
      SF = 160556
      CRC = 2
      LOS = 848
      LOF = 0
      ES = 548
      Latest 15 minutes time = 29 sec
      SF = 1705
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 10
      LOF = 0
      ES = 7
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 256
      LOF = 0
      ES = 164
      Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      SF = 3414715
      CRC = 13
      LOS = 7575
      LOF = 0
      ES = 4573
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 2
      LOS = 273
      LOF = 0
      ES = 183
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52990
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 309
      LOF = 0
      ES = 194
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 466
      LOF = 0
      ES = 257

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You certainly have a lot of Loss of Signal errors, but then you already know that

Has anyone suggested that it may be a faulty router? Although your attenuation is high, you should still be able to get a stable connection, albeit at quite a low speed. Do you have another router you could try?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have a USB modem that I use at another address which i've tried but it has the exact same problem.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

UPDATE: Tier 1 called me yesterday on my mobile (amazing!) to see if my issue had been resolved (which it hasn't)... I was then told Tier 3 would be contacted to look into my issue again and to my amazement they called me yesterday evening to perform some diagnostics.
      The conclusion was that my router is faulty and a replacement will be sent. I'm not sure if this is the issue (i've tried a USB modem which also failed to sync) but i hope it is.
      The only annoying thing is that they have now closed the ticket so if this doesn't fix the issue I have to go through the whole process again.