Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I chance Max over Mid?

This is a discussion on Should I chance Max over Mid? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi... I'm looking for some advice, I live 1.1km from my exchange. On the Sky website I am told I ...

ukdy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Solihull
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Should I chance Max over Mid?

Hi... I'm looking for some advice,

I live 1.1km from my exchange. On the Sky website I am told I am eligible for the 16Mb Max package. However based on a check of my phone line I can only expect up to 6.5Mb download speed.

So here is my conumdrum.... Do I chance getting the Max package to see what I can get after the initial bedding-in period... If I get less than 8Mb download then I could cancel within the 8 day period and go to the Mid package instead saving myself 5 per month. I would have to cancel and start again because dowgrading packages is not possible.

What do you guys think... and has anyone done something similar..??

Thanks,

Dom

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Should I chance Max over Mid?

Would try mid, and switch up if all seems ok. Should be a breeze to move up but probably gonna be a nightmare to switch down a package.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Welcome

There is no initial "bedding in" period.

Training only occurs on Sky's non-LLU service - Connect (which is just a re-sold BTWholesale ADSLMax service).

The LLU services (Base, Mid, Max) have no training period.

What checks did you do to find out what speed you could get?

Do you have ADSL at the moment, then, & if so, what are your attenuation & noise margin?

You never know, it could well be that there is something at your end which could be improved.

Before I 1st got Sky BB Max, all the online tests said I'd only get 4-5mbps.

Which I did.

But then I read up about ring wires & filtered faceplates & noise & so on, & after a few quick improvements now get 8mbps.

Even though I only get 8mbps rather than anywhere near the full 16mpbs possible with the Max service, I'm still more than happy to pay a tenner for it, rather than pay 5 for the 8mbps Mid service. 'Cos, although I'd save a fiver per month & have the same speed I have now, I wouldn't have the unlimited usage & nice high upload of the Max service. And 10 for unlimited 8mbps BB is a lot better than my old 25 2mbps BB with 30GB cap

Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok well the fact there is no training is good... it means i'll get the max service from the outset. in response to your questions...

> i don't currently have ADSL, i have Virgin Cable BB.

> I'm not sure if there is anything that could be done at my end of things, re ring wires and filtered faceplates... what is a ring wire.. where can i get a filtered faceplate from?

> the checks i did on my line was from the link below... is this accurate?? and also after giving the customer service rep at sky my phone number she said the same thing.. click the image to see my speed test.

DSL ZoneUK - Broadband checker

if you think i'll be able to get more speed by putting in a filtered faceplate and by sorting out whatever ring wiring is.. then i'll stick with the max... unless after the install and all the alterations max is still crappy... then i'd have to cancel and go with the mid.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Tests like that aren't always amazingly accurate, more of a guess... especially as you don't currently have ADSL. If you had ADSL, you'd have some attenuation & noise margin figures you could plug into the other fairly more accurate tests on there (though they're still estimates).

For the test you used, if I enter my phone no. & postcode, it tells me "Your line is capable of 4 Mbps or above.", even though I have 8mbps, & can sometimes manage 9.

Ring wire...

Orange wire with white bands, connects to IDC terminal no.3 on the back of the BT master socket's faceplate, & to the same position on the back of any extension sockets. Only needed by old phones, & not needed at all if you have ADSL (as the microfilter can provide ring power anyway). It can introduce a lot of noise, which in turn lowers the noise margin, causing slower speeds etc.

I simply removed mine from the back of the master's faceplate & each extension socket (& put a bit of insulating tape over the end, just to cover it). Instant improvement.

Filtered faceplate...

Replacement faceplate for a BT NTE5 master socket. Has two sockets on the front - one for phone & one for ADSL. Also has two sets of IDCs on the back, instead of the normal one - one set which provides connections for running a filtered extension for phone use, & a 2nd set which is unfiltered for running an extension for ADSL use. Cheap, easy to fit.

ADSL Nation - XTE-2005 - Filtered Master Faceplate

Info on ring wire, & extension wiring etc.:

DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help

UK Telephone Wiring

A lot of noise issues are caused by internal phone wiring.... extensions etc.

Removing the ring wire, using a filtered faceplate, etc., does usually improve things, & certainly can't make it worse.

More info in here:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

You could try as koala suggested, & go for Mid first, & then upgrade to Max. Saves cancelling & reordering etc. And with stats from Mid, you can get an idea of what Max would give you.

EDIT:

Lots of info here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html

Explains attenuation & noise margin, talks about causes of noise, disconnections, etc.
      Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 24-05-07 at 12:27 AM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

the only reason i'd chance the max it rather than take mid only to upgrade would be to save the 20 install charge. if i subscribe to the 16Mb package and can get 10-11Mb then great - i'll stay put. but if i'm getting 6-7Mb then i would cancel and resubscribe on the mid package.

i'm a cheapskate like that.. plus i've a feeling that being only 1.1km from the exchange i should be able to get better than the 6-7Mb quoted from various sources!!

i looked and i do have a bt master socket, i'll check to see whether the ring wire is connected...

would it make any difference that my phone line comes to my house via a telegraph pole... rather than under the ground?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Bewarned, by cancelling and resubscribing you could be digging yourself a very big hole! markers on the line and all sort of issue's which could cause you to end up with no service at all.
      Mate of mine's wife neglected to pay the BT phone bill and they disconnected the line, took one day to get the phone back and seven weeks to get the broadband back on line.

bristewart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Bewarned, by cancelling and resubscribing you could be digging yourself a very big hole!
      Couldn't agree more. Here's a nice horror story (with a happy ending for most people who appended):

ADSL line gone dead 3 days after activation :-(

My advice for Sky BB (and for any broadband ISP for that matter) is if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. I certainly wouldn't go messing about with changing packages.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok so... new developments!!

i spoke to sky again last night and i was told that the previous agent searched for my estimated previous speed (5-6Mb) based on postcode not by my phone number. the new agent proceeded to search based on my phone number and told me that i could expect 15.5Mb download speeds based on my 1.1km from the exchange.

i then set out to work out estimated attenuation speeds based on this 1.1km. the link below let me work this out...

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maximum_speed_calculator.htm

1.1km straight line gives an approximate attenuation of 15.18 and given this, an estimated total throughput of about 22000 Kbps. this is also backed up by a calculator spreadsheet i downloaded from a site last night, this link is below...

http://www.box.net/shared/jr3spg9f18

he also told me that he has heard of people with sky bb experiencing over 20Mb who are close to the exchange - but sky say up to 16Mb to cover themselves.

i know this is all not 100% accurate but surely this points to a greater download speed than the 5-6Mb i was led to belive from my 1st post

any thoughts?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think this web site as has over 5000 members and I have never heard anyone getting over 16mb, because it is capped at 16mb. Sky say up to 16mb to cover then people who can only get 8mb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast