Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Should I chance Max over Mid?

This is a discussion on Should I chance Max over Mid? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; sure... i appreciate that, but i would surely get close to 16Mb... according to that info... if i went with ...

ukdy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Solihull
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Should I chance Max over Mid?

sure... i appreciate that, but i would surely get close to 16Mb... according to that info... if i went with bulldog/be there then i would get above 20Mb..

i think that's what i'm saying

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If I were you and planning to go to Sky, then I would order "mid" try it out if you only get 2mb you have the cool off period to cancel and go elsewhere. If you get the full 8mb then extract and post your detailed router stats here and someone should be able to tell you from them how close to 16mb you are likely to get. If all looks good then upgrade.

Seems pretty logical to me.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

well there is a cooling off period with the max package too. if i don't get what i want from the line i can always cancel it and go to the mid package instead.

i will still have my virgin 2Mb as a backup if i needed to cancel and wait for the change from max down to mid. i'm not too fussed about doing that.

i'm just saving the bother of having to pay 20 for the activation then upgrade if my speed is high

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As long as your line is in reasonable condition, I don't think you will have much to worry about. You can check your actual straight line distance from your exchange HERE. From this you can work your approximate actual distance. Unless you have a very 'bendy' line it will probably be about 1.6K, which would give you all Sky can supply on ADSL2+.

Where did you find reference to the cooling off period for changing from Max to Mid?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As long as your line is in reasonable condition, I don't think you will have much to worry about. You can check your actual straight line distance from your exchange HERE. From this you can work your approximate actual distance. Unless you have a very 'bendy' line it will probably be about 1.6K, which would give you all Sky can supply on ADSL2+.

Where did you find reference to the cooling off period for changing from Max to Mid?
      it's not a cooling off period for max to mid - downgrading is not possible. however on the day broadband goes live, sky give you 8 days to cancel it (this is the cooling off period). so in theory i could downgrade, but i'd need to cancel and resubscribe.

i did the calculation again for the estimated speed from a 1.6KM line and i would still get all that sky can offer on ADSL2+... the max rate would be 19500. maybe i shold go with be there or bulldog ??

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It's really up to you, Sky 14-16Mbs for a tenner with free connection, setup and router or the alternatives for s_an_awful_lot_more

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It's really up to you, Sky 14-16Mbs for a tenner with free connection, setup and router or the alternatives for s_an_awful_lot_more
      i was kinda joking.. so long as i can get the max from my short distance from the exchange !!

dflour69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Whatever you choose to do, avoid Bulldog like the black death. They were my previous ISP. Not only was the BB poor but the customer service was ignorant and thoroughly unpleasant with it. Also, AFAIK, Bulldog still require you to take their telephone service. In a word - don't.

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by dflour69 View Post
      Whatever you choose to do, avoid Bulldog like the black death. They were my previous ISP. Not only was the BB poor but the customer service was ignorant and thoroughly unpleasant with it. Also, AFAIK, Bulldog still require you to take their telephone service. In a word - don't.

a long time ago i must admit a friend of mine had bulldog keep taking payments from his credit card took him ages to get it back after he had cancelled to cut a long story short they ended up paying 1000 compensation as it was classed as theft makes sky cs look like a dream lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12