Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Contract help

This is a discussion on Contract help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello there This is my first post and was wondering for any help if possible? It’s a bit of a ...

Stuart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SDWCKHM
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV:

Post Contract help

Hello there

This is my first post and was wondering for any help if possible?

It’s a bit of a long story though just skip to the end for the real question if ya don’t want to here all of it.

It all started back in early December 2006 when my mother asked for me to set up a sky broadband account for her. She wanted an unlimited connection for £10 as she could afford this amount and was happy as there are 5 computers in her household. After there very first call to sky to activate the account they were first told that sky max was not available in the area yet and would not be for another 6 – 12 months so she asked for the free package “Base” until the “Max” was available to them. Well this seemed to go all well as she gave them the card details and so on….

She received her first letter of confirmation and waited the 10 – 15 days for line activation but this didn’t happen till way into January 2007. Well after a few calls to sky every now and then it finally became active with some nice speeds at times but with disconnections but that was due to the engineers not running the tests on the line for there distance and so on so there was another week without a proper connection. Anyway after this was all sorted out and they had a stable connection they were a bit disappointed at the speeds around 1.6 max (Knowing there is at least another 1 meg in there after working it all out) but understanding the distance they are from our exchange 2.97 kilometres (as the crow flies) she decided not to sped any more time on the phone to sky and just deal with it.

February 2007. So they started using there sky broadband “Base” connection after more problems with 2 new passwords not working and email problems and lots more calls to sky! They went about using there connection making sure they all did not go over there monthly bandwidth usage this was hard to do with 5 computers but they seemed to do so ok. Then last month April 2007 my mother mentioned to me that she had been getting an extra £17 added to her sky bill. I then looked into this and signed into her account and noticed that she had been paying for the sky “connect” Package from day one after struggling with what they thought was a 2Gig monthly usage limit.

Obviously she was angry with this knowing she really could not afford the extra amount but didn’t bother to phone sky as she had had enough with calling them and just wanted to wait till the “Max” connection was available to her.

Well after checking the site today on the off chance there may be some kind of update on when “Max” would be available to her it now seems that the sky packages “Base” “Mid” and “Max” will never be available in there area! What does all this mean? What can she do about it? And does she have to fulfil her 12 month contract?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:

Re: Contract help

Oh dear!! Looks like you or her have had the wool pulled over your eye's!
      Well there are 3 packages base/mid and max all these package's are LLU packages, which basically means you are connected to Sky equipment in the telephone exchange. If Max wasn't available then it is very very unlikely Mid or base would be available.
      If the exchange has not had any Sky equipment installed then Sky offer a 4th package called Connect at £17 which is basically a rebadged BT product. In some cases where the exchange is due to be upgraded within 6 month's then they sometimes offer Connect for £5 a month.