Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

You know, Sky Broadband isn't that bad afterall

This is a discussion on You know, Sky Broadband isn't that bad afterall within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just wanted to make the comment that I don't actually think SKY broadband is that bad to be honest. We ...

JED
      JED is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GEDLING
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You know, Sky Broadband isn't that bad afterall

Just wanted to make the comment that I don't actually think SKY broadband is that bad to be honest. We joined the MAX service on 09 March and did have a lot of problems - the migration was seamless but the connection frequently dropped and was very slow (sometimes down to 200k). However, Tier 3 were very helpful and decided to cap the line at 4Mb giving us (sometimes) a 4Mb connection which still frequently dropped. However, after getting BT to come and check the wiring because I sometimes heard a crackle on the line and after they replaced both the cable on the pole and did something in the exchange, I am now getting a solid 4Mb everytime with very few drops.

One other thing was that with the Sky router, the Noise Margin would drop greatly when the phone was picked up - with an older Netgear DG34G and updated firmware, this never happens; I am using this router therefore instead.

I am now just waiting to hear back from Tier 3 about trying the repaired line with the cap removed.

Basically therefore, the major fault was with BTs line and not with Sky themselves.

2. Advertisement
      PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: You know, Sky Broadband isn't that bad afterall

thanks for the feedback JED - often it is down to BT and not the ISP - my line is the same bad wiring all over the shop

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

tbh, would be quicker calling thru for tier 3 rather than wait for the call back....also, if you find connection still drops it may be that removing the cap might make it worse

worth a try though!

Paulst30 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ever since i spoke to Tier 3 and told them that i was monitoring mt connection and mentioned all the learnings from Sky User i haven't had any problems with my connection.

So thanks to here i get problem free surfing, tbh i should have had it from the start.

I'll be undertaking my telephone interview for 02 technical support (broadband) this evening so i hope i can learn more about broadband to help out here soon. It will be tier 2 support so not to shaby.

Love the homepage

JED
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The major problem with Tier 3 is that I keep on leaving my MOBILE number but they insist on calling my landline in the middle of the day when I am obviously not going to be there!

Paulst30 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I must admit that is the most annoying thing ever. Its obvious that the majority of SKy customers work during the day.

I think its deliberate to be honest because they know that you won't be in, thus noting that they contacted you. That, i think, only compounds their problem because if it was all dealt with in the first instance then there would be no 3-4 callbacks.

Another example of poor management. The guys that work there only follow the protocol. It must be hard for them knowing how silly it is.

Anyway i digress from the main point as usual

JED
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I got through to a nice lady on Tier 1 on saturday pm and asked if she could transfer me to Tier 3 as I had an open ticket. She agreed, but after waiting for about 5 minutes she told me that the person assigned to me was not available and they would have to call me back. I asked if I could speak to anybody as all I wanted was for them try moving the cap from the line, but she said no

JED
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tier 3 just called me on my mobile! Very helpful person - they have increased the speed further and are going to call me back tomorrow to see if everything is OK with the increased speed. Upload has been changed from 416 to 768 too.

Marvellous!

bevdawn69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Beeston
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JED View Post
      Just wanted to make the comment that I don't actually think SKY broadband is that bad to be honest. We joined the MAX service on 09 March and did have a lot of problems - the migration was seamless but the connection frequently dropped and was very slow (sometimes down to 200k). However, Tier 3 were very helpful and decided to cap the line at 4Mb giving us (sometimes) a 4Mb connection which still frequently dropped. However, after getting BT to come and check the wiring because I sometimes heard a crackle on the line and after they replaced both the cable on the pole and did something in the exchange, I am now getting a solid 4Mb everytime with very few drops.

One other thing was that with the Sky router, the Noise Margin would drop greatly when the phone was picked up - with an older Netgear DG34G and updated firmware, this never happens; I am using this router therefore instead.

I am now just waiting to hear back from Tier 3 about trying the repaired line with the cap removed.

Basically therefore, the major fault was with BTs line and not with Sky themselves.
      My BB has been on for 2 weeks now (after over 2 months of waiting) and I'm glad to say its all I hoped for so I guess it was worth all of those phone calls and waiting around for the post after all.
      "Live long and prosper"

edwardw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYDEW
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have never really had a problem, appart from the fact that they havent charged me since around september when i joined, and that from their point of view im not actually on their broadband, but i connect at 13mb and it is much faster than my old plusnet connection!
      Connected @ 13mbit on SkyMAX