Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Do I leave Sky?

This is a discussion on Do I leave Sky? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I posted a problem maybe 2-3weeks ago, and it still hasn't been resolved by Sky themselves. I just give up, ...

Skeletore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Portsmouth
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do I leave Sky?

I posted a problem maybe 2-3weeks ago, and it still hasn't been resolved by Sky themselves.

I just give up, My connection is so terrible I just dont know what to do anymore except leave Sky BB. I am on the Connect 5 package.

I have worked out its a noise problem, everytime i try to connect if its over about 512kpbs so for example 4000kpbs, 2000kbps etc it will fail to get a internet connection. The internet light flashes orange then goes green for about 20secs, when I look at the router statistics I see the noise start from about 13db and drop to about -2.7db etc. It will do this process until it establishes a stable connection which is usually 160kpbs, yay me

I have done the techincal support steps about a million times, I have 2 Sky Routers now and I have had the BT engineer at my house twice and he couldnt work it out either on both occasions. My line attentuation is 43db and said I should be able to get at least 2mb, AT LEAST.

Im not capped either, as they have removed this cap many times, just the slow speed is what it is stable at.

Is this a lost cause, why is my Broadband so bad, I used to be with virgin, my area now has 20mb, I used to have the 10mb one, not this pathetic 160kbps. x3 dial-up

2. Advertisement
      spiers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ecclesfield
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Do I leave Sky?

Hi,
      The Virgin would be through a cable, not a phone line, so thats why the speeds are so high.
      Because Sky is through BT and a phone line, it might be the wiring, as you have said noise is an issue.
      Have you done the Master socket tests?
      About the cap.. it might actually help if you have a cap.
      It can reduce errors.
      In my case i was capped at 4MB and had loads of errors, Sky reduced the cap to 3.5Mb and my error's disappeared.
      My connection is still poor (wiring problem) but its better than it was, the lower speed cap sloved the problem.
      I suggest you ring Sky and ask them to cap your service while doing tests to see if it makes any difference.
      Thanks.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yeah I know its cable, thats why I was thinking about going back. adsl doesn't seem to great, and awful speeds. I cant get any online games with my xbox or pc because my ping is so bad (160kbps) and people kick me.

yeah, they have capped me at 2mb and 1mb which made no difference. the BT engineer removed all caps when he last come round, because he seemed to think he resolved the problem and at that point I had been capped at 0.160kbps, but needed 48hrs to get back to normal. more than 48hrs now and its still terrible

I phoned sky (my phone bill is insane, thanks sky!!!) and they said my exchange is being upgraded as of the 19th of april, my broadband went live on the 18th. He had no idea when it was to be completed.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have found your router stats from one of your previous post, you have an extremely high number of line errors on your line, this is not really Skys fault. It is either a problem with the line itself which is down to BT or internal wiring issue's.
      You have definately tried the test socket which is hidden behind the face plate if the master? By removing the face plate it should disconnect extension wiring.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yes I have done the mastersocket thing and it made no difference, so did the BT engineers.

I cant live with these speeds, not after what I was used to with Virgin. I play alot of online games and download all the time, and when download speeds are 5-15kbps its not even worth trying.

Im worried as I have been with sky for over a month, can I leave or am I contracted to stay now, will the upgrade improve my speed when its complete. Should I wait a little longer and still chase it up?

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do BT admit the line is bad? If so surely it is down to them to sort it out?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you tried the BT speedtester

This will show you the profile for your line and your download speed. It will also mention it if your speed is not acceptable for Broadband and possibly recommend that you contact your ISP with the results.

As Koala5 says this is not a Sky problem, it is down to BT to fix it. Unfortunately, even if you were transferred to Sky's service, it would not help, in fact, ADSL2 might even magnify the problem and makes things worse, if that were possible.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

whats the login name going to be?

BT have told me that there was a fault on my line somewhere.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sorry, I should have said, the login name is the one embedded in the router, something like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@skydsl

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sorry, i must be completely blonde I cant seem to find mine anywhere

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast