Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Setting up file sharing - Help please!

This is a discussion on Setting up file sharing - Help please! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can anybody point me in the direction of a resource for troubleshooting setting up file sharing? I have a laptop ...

garyp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Setting up file sharing - Help please!

Can anybody point me in the direction of a resource for troubleshooting setting up file sharing? I have a laptop and desktop both running XP Home SP2. The desktop is connected to the sky router via a LAN cable and the laptop uses a wireless card. All is fine for connecting to the internet, but I cannot get file sharing working between the laptop and desktop PC's.

I have run the network wizard on both PC's but always get problems with error messages when I try to access shared folders on the other PC (i.e. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions). I also get extra bits added on to that basic error, such as 'the network path was not found'.

I have done the basic stuff, and I have tried turning off firewalls, so it doesn't seem to be a firewall issue.

I have had it working (extremely hit and miss) in the past, so I know it can be done.

I have done a search on file sharing on this forum, and did find one how to document, but it was just the basic stuff I've already done. I have spent the whole of today 'starting from scratch' and it has got me nowhere.

Before I switched over to sky, I spent hours on the phone with BT's staff trying to resolve this, and also spent about 2 weeks via email with microsoft's staff, culminating in me re-installing XP on both PC's, all to no avail. I am truly desparate!!

Can anyone who knows how to troubleshoot this throw me a bone!

2. Advertisement
      jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Setting up file sharing - Help please!

first things first, can you ping the other machine?

type 'cmd' in the run window and at the prompt type ping 192.168.0.X where X the ip address of the other machine (check in the router for ip addresses)

try it from the other machine as well

let us know if that works and then we'll go from there!
      "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok..."

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello and thanks for the reply!

I have just tried pinging both machines and yes it works fine, so ready for the next step.

jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The next step is to set up a shared folder on each machine.

1) Create a new folder on the machine and drop a couple of files into it (anything really, just to test with).

2) On the folder: right-click > properties > Sharing
      3) Select 'Share this folder' then click permissions
      4) 'Everyone' should already be there. Give it 'full control'. Click 'ok' to go back to the properties window
      5) Click the 'security' tab
      6) Look for 'everyone' and give it 'full control'
      7) Click 'ok' to close

On the SAME machine in Windows Explorer, in the address bar type \\192.168.X.X\ where the IP address is the machine you are currently using.
      When you enter the last '\' the dropdown should display a list of shares, including the one you just created (along with printers, etc)

If you select the new share fromthe drop down it should resolve.

If so, try entering the same on the other machine and hopefully it will be able to see across the network

Give that a whirl...
      "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok..."

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Just a thought but I have had issues with sharing between Vista and XP systems, I resolved this by ensuring if the same account name exists on both systems make sure they have the same password or file sharing will run into problems similar to what your describing.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jewkesy View Post
      The next step is to set up a shared folder on each machine...

When I set up a shared folder I don't get the same options you describe. Right-clicking on the shared folder and doing properties > sharing tab, I am able to tick 'share this folder on the network' and 'allow users to change my files' and give the folder a 'sharing name', which I have done. However, I do not see 'permissions' anywhere. Also, there is no 'security' tab.

Quote Originally Posted by jewkesy View Post
      On the SAME machine in Windows Explorer, in the address bar type \\192.168.X.X\ where the IP address is the machine you are currently using.
      When you enter the last '\' the dropdown should display a list of shares, including the one you just created (along with printers, etc)

When I type in the last '\' there's nothing appearing, and if I click the dropdown I just get the top level of the machine from desktop down. Incidentally, if I hit return I get an error 'windows cannot find \\192.168.0.1\'.

I notice that my desktop machine is 0.1 in the router today where yesterday it was 0.2. Do I need to somehow tell the router to fix each machine on a 'static IP' instead of changing it each time I switch on? I'm also wondering whether the differences to the sharing tabs, etc. may be between XP home and XP pro (maybe you are on XP pro?).

However, I have just managed to get the desktop machine to see shared folders on the laptop! But although the laptop can see shared folders on the destop machine, if I attempt to open one I get 'you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions... Not enough server storage is available to process this command'. I've looked the second part of that up and apparently it is something to do with a registry entry that is altered by Norton, but should not affect XP systems!

Re: Windows account passwords, I don't think I have any passwords set up on either machine (I don't have to type a password to log on).

Thanks

What versions of XP are you using. Are they all Home Edition or is there a mixture of Home and Professional. The security tab and permissions that jewkesy talks about are present in XP Pro if simple file sharing is disabled. The only to see these tabs in Home Edition is by starting the system in Safe Mode.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Both are home edition. I'm feeling a bit more confident now that I can at least access shared stuff on the laptop from the desktop, and I think if I sort out this registry problem on the desktop machine (apparently caused by Norton) then all may be well, though at the moment the whole networking thing seems extremely slow and hangs the router a lot. Thanks for the replies both of you. I can only assume this works for most people straight away as there doesn't seem to be a lot out there, but I've been struggling with it for ages now.

Thanks

If should work for most straight out of the box, especially on Home Edition due to the Simple File Sharing mode it uses, no permissions to worry about.

Did you makesure that all systems reside within the same workgroup, for XP Home workgroup is usually set to MSHOME. To check that right click on My Computer and select Properties and then click on the Computer Name tab, if the workgroup name does not agree with what the other system has click on the CHANGE button and enter a workgroup name. Reboot both PC's and the goto My Network and see if the your systems display shared folders from each other. You should esentially see all shared folders from all computers in your network.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes they are in the same workgroup name. I can see the shared folders on each machine from the other machine, and I can access shared folders on the laptop from the desktop machine, but when I try to access a shared folder on the desktop machine from the laptop, I get a 'might not have permission' error, with the following added: 'not enough server storage is available to process this command'.

Another anomoly is that when both machines are switched on my router crashes frequently (around every hour on average), which it very rarely does otherwise.