Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband req.?

This is a discussion on Broadband req.? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello. I want to get Sky Broadband and get rid of my old ISP. I do have sky (TV) at ...

Aloc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Broadband req.?

Hello.

I want to get Sky Broadband and get rid of my old ISP.

I do have sky (TV) at the moment, this is connected to a phone line (not using the land line). Does this automatically mean that this phone line is up to scratch? If not how do i go about getting the correct land line and how much will this cost me (set up and monthly fees).

Basically i do have some kind of phone line but as it isn't in use (other then the sky box using it) i don't know what are the specs, who provides it and if it is up to the requirements. Does this line automatiaclly mean that it will work with the broadband?

/ Aloc

Http://www.AglocoSweden.tk

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Broadband req.?

To get Sky Broadband you need an active BT line. If you have one put your number in HERE and it will supply all the details you need. If you don't have a number, or your line is not active you would have to get BT to connect you, They will charge for this.

Aloc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I do have a phone line of some kind, it is currently used by my sk topbox. Problem is i dont recieve any bills for this line, i dont even know the number. I dont know if this is a BT line. My question maybe should have been as follows: "If my sky topbox uses a phoneline, is this automaticlly a BT line?" If my sky topbox uses a line (any line) will it be good for internet aswell? Anybody knows how much is the setup cost for a BT land line and how much is charged per month? Probably i should give sky a call but dont have the time at the moment.

Cheers.

Http://www.AglocoSweden.tk

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I would guess that, although the Sky box is plugged into it, the line is inactive! There is no way that BT would allow you to use a line without paying for it. Have you ever actually used the Sky box to access interactive programs or booked a Box Office film with it? If you have and it worked, keep quiet about it when you contact BT as they may hit you with a very big charge for line rental. One thing that is confusing is that Sky insist on an active line when they install your box/dish, so unless the engineer did not bother checking, it must have been working then.

This is a quote from a BT FAQ-
      Reconnect a BT line

If you donít have a telephone provider and believe your property once had a BT line that has been disconnected, simply look for a white BT phone socket on your wall. If you find one, this may give an indication that you can get connected* Please call 0808 100 7722
      BT charge about £125 to install a new line

Nebiroth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Broadband can only be provided using an active, BT-compatible line - this means it is connected to the BT network rather than from something else, for example Virgin Media who also supply phone lines in certain areas. But that is usually in addition to BT lines, most homes have a BT line physically installed.

Check that it's a BT line. If you don't have cable TV in your area then it almost certainly will be. If you are not being billed and do not know the number then the chances are that it is an inactive line. If you want Sky Broadband then it will have to be activated and you will have to pay line rental to BT. How do you manage without a phone, do you use a mobile for all your calls?

But before you do that, you need to check whether your exchange has Sky Broadband available on it. Some do not. Normally you check by typing in your phone number into the checker and it tells you.

There is one Sky broadband product that is available in "non-Sky" areas, that is called Connect, but it is expensive at nearly £18 a month. It also requires an active BT line.