Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

new max signup - question on activation timelines

This is a discussion on new max signup - question on activation timelines within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I moved house a 7 weeks ago, and finally after almost 2 months chasing BT finally had a BT line ...

samyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dartford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

new max signup - question on activation timelines

I moved house a 7 weeks ago, and finally after almost 2 months chasing BT finally had a BT line installed last weekend. There was a small hiccup with the pre installed wiring in the house and BT had to change the face plate with one of their 'quality' ones to get rid of line noise and echo.

Phoned up sky yesterday to order sky bb max, so everything is in motion. Now waiting for activation letter and router.

Being an inquisitive kind of guy, I checked Prodigy Networks to see what it thinks of the status of my bt line. Yesterday before the order it said: "This looks like a normal BT exchange line with no ADSL enabled."

This morning, this changed to: "This line has a Shared Metalic Path Facility (SMPF) on it - either the broadband or phone service utilises an LLU service while BT provides the other service normally."

Also checking DSL ZoneUK - Order tracker
      Yesterday it said: "ADSL is not activated on this line and there are no open orders on the BT system."

This morning, this changed to: "ADSL is activated on this line and there are no open orders on the BT system. (Migrations excluded)"

Without knowing what they are reporting on for sure, Im tempted to guess that BT have enabled my BT line for adsl at their exchange in an amazingly short amount of time!

Im going to try my old adsl router on the line tonight to see if it does sync.

A few questions which Im hoping the vast experience on these forums might be able to help with:

o Is there likely to be some other activation needed at Skys end before the line is fully enabled?
      o Are there configuration guides for setting up non sky routers?
      o Does one need a username and password, and what is the likely hood of getting these over the phone from bb support?

Looking forward to getting BB having been without for nearly 2 months! Been using dial up for the last two days and its almost as bad as having no access!

At my last place, I was with be. Roughly 120meters from the exchange atcf, and getting a solid 22mb sync. The new house is about 600m from exchange atcf, and according to the sky bod who took the order should be able to get close to the full 16mb. Im hoping that will be the case, but time will tell.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: new max signup - question on activation timelines

You wont get your username and password out of Sky, mainly because it is imbedded and hidden in the router firmware and common to the router not the customers account. So any SKy router with any username/password will work on any Sky ADSL connection. There are utilities to extract the username and password but you cant do that until you get your hands on the router.

The only username and password you should be sent is for accessing there website portal and email only.

samyeung is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dartford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I see.. Thanks for the prompt reply Koala5.. the clarification is much appreciated.

It did seem odd to require a username and password on a LLU line, but I guess it makes sense to try to lock users into using sky's supplied routers.

Guess I'll have to sit tight for a while longer before joining the information super highway again.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Once you get your router it is worth extracting your username and password and storing it using this Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4, because if your router packs up anytime which they have been known to do, or you have any issues where you need to rule out the router as being a problem you can put your old one on and get back on line. Sky can take a week or more to supply a replacement. It is against there terms and conditions to use a foreign router, but I dont think anyone has had there knuckles wrapped yet!