Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Error 200

This is a discussion on Error 200 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have waited 14 weeks for my Sky Broadband to go active, my account went active yesterday and my Internet ...

Tracy D is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Error 200

I have waited 14 weeks for my Sky Broadband to go active, my account went active yesterday and my Internet light is now on, but i am getting the error 200 message, chap authentication failed etc, etc.

I have been reading about everyones problems with this and i fear that i am just going to encounter the same problems, as i am not having any luck with this service. Although i did get through to Tier 3 support without much hassle. I still have my old modem from BT which i have tried and i am getting the green light with this modem as well, but no internet pages are displaying.

Has anybody got any advice they can give me..... or should i just ask for my MAC code and get out of this crap that i have been in since end of January, cause the line drop outs doesnt fill me with joy either.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Error 200

The green light just means the router has synced with the exchange, the BT router will do this even if it has detected the Sky ADSL signal on the line. The problem you have is the router is failing to log on to the Sky network, which it use's a hidden login and password for. So in a nutshell you need to get back on to Sky again unfortunately.

As for line drop outs, 9 out of 10 of these are actually caused by local problems and not Sky. I have been with Sky since November and for the first two and a half month's I suffered constant disconnections and spent alot of time swearing at Sky because in my mind my previous BT 2mb connection worked fine it only went wrong when I went to Sky so it must be Skys fault!!
      It was only when I found this forum and all the help here I discovered I had a problem with my house's internal telephone wiring, it just couldn't handle Skys faster 8mb speed, thats why everything was ok with BT, had BT put me on 8mb I would have had the same problem. Anyway once the wiring was sorted my connection has been solid for the last 3 - 4 month's.

Chezbug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The Sky box has got the password and username locked into it and apparently Sky won't tell you this information so it is a waste of time ringing them to ask. However, there is a way to get the information and then to use a different router. Just enter 'router' into the forum here and you should be able to find out how to get the password.
      I have been using a Lynksys router for about a week now with no problems whatsoever (once I'd figured out how to set it up )
      Bear in mind that you are breaking Sky's T&C by using a different router but I figure that if you get no or poor service then you have to do what you have to do!
      I know Sky are getting extremely bad press about their service but now I have a decent router I really can't knock 'em for 5/month.
      Charging 7p/min on their customer service phoneline is a rip off though, especially when they don't seem to be very helpful (according to the forum posts)!

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

14 weeks seems an awful long time to wait for a connection, did you turn down the chance of going Connect? After such a long wait, a few more days should not make much difference. You can try putting your username etc, into the BT router but I doubt if it will do much good, these not being accepted is probably the reason you are failing to connect.

I think the most likely cause of you problem is that although your line has been enabled, your details have not yet been put into the system. Give it a day and you could be on line. In the mean time, you could try resetting the router, it might not help but is worth a try. On the back of the router, between the power plug and the lan posts, you will see a small hole. Push the tip of a biro into it and hold it in for 2 or 3 seconds. Do this with the router fully powered up, not when it is starting as this has a different effect and could cause problems.

Chezbug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Koala is right about checking your wiring though - and make sure you go through all the other trouble shooting steps also like swapping the filters and trying your connection through the master socket etc.

I tried all this and it didn't help - I guess I must be the other 1 out of 10.

If you're going to ring Sky though, they will only ask you if you've checked everything so it'll save you a call if you do it first.

Have fun!

Tracy D is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

We have lift off, we are working online now. Sky rang us up!

it has been that long i dont even know how to use the internet at home anymore, it feels like a dream......we have had a new computer for ages now and havent even used the net on it yet!.

I didnt even get the choice for BT Connect, they said that wouldnt make a difference because of the issues at the exchange. Tie pairs and another wierd name was mentioned, it has taken a few attempts to get us working with the exchange.

You wouldnt believe who i have complained too and all the hassle i have had.