Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

sky max help

This is a discussion on sky max help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi 1st off i would like to stress how rubish sky are at trouble shooting and even worse there service ...

Gasoline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: southampton- shiley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:

sky max help

1st off i would like to stress how rubish sky are at trouble shooting and even worse there service is.

I have sky max, have had this for over a month now at first i was getting great great speed but as time goes on i only now get around 1-2mb.

My nearest exchange is1.25km away not that far at all!

I just dont know what to do any more to get my full potential speed been on the max package i think i should do alot better that 1-2 mb

calling tech support at sky is awast of time i think i have spent a total of 5 hours over the phone with no gain to my problem at all

If any 1 knows what i could do this would be of great help!

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 3604214 5542520 0 3290 9676 48:47:13
      LAN 10M/100M 5633048 4047029 0 9291 8319 48:48:48
      WLAN 11M/54M 741512 422865 0 5797 256 48:48:39

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6144 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.0 db 21.0 db
      Noise Margin 15.2 db 13.0 db

this is some of the info i got off my router dunno is this will help

Only if sky was not a 1year contract i would go back to ntl in a second

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV

Re: sky max help

saying that isn't going to personaly make me want to help you....I try best I can at helping the customer, and yes we have a lot of newbies at tier 3 at the mo who are also working hard. But I can understand the frustration. as for going back to cable, it is a superior technology as its cable.

from your line stats the line would appear to have been set to 6MB but if you call us up tier 3 can set the line up to ADSL2+ and see what it looks like.

Have you had the line capped from being on ADSL2+ originally? If so, it was reduced to give a stable connection rather than all out speed. Everyone thinks that just cause they're less than 2k away it means they will definately get fast speed. You'd be surprised how slow I've seen people who are in viewing distance of their exchange go!!

More than likely it's down to their internal wiring but they refuse to believe it then bitch about us on here!!! Can't have it both ways I'm afraid....

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box

Re: sky max help

As has been suggested you've almost certainly been capped as evidenced by your high noise margin plus for some reason they've capped your upstream too. You're also probably on G.DMT.

There's not too much point in asking you to run any tests to look for line problems as they will likely be heavily masked by the capping. You might however want to see if your noise margin rises still further when connected to the test socket which is hidden inside your master socket - assuming you have an NTE5.

If your noise margin rises significantly (your sync shouldn't change much if you're capped) then this points to a local wiring problem which you should fix before contacting T3 as suggested.

You may also find the first post in my signature helpful to understand the relationship between attenuation, noise margin and sync. The cabling and faceplate help forum will help with noise/line issues.