Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Sync speed & Noise margin

This is a discussion on Sync speed & Noise margin within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Saturday I understand that. The question which I posed is why have I gone from a drop ...

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      I understand that. The question which I posed is why have I gone from a drop of 7 noise margin each evening to a dip of 2?
      You saw though my answer. It's a very pertinent question and one that I've pondered because the one thing that the filter is very good at is reducing RF. It would imply that the improvement is due to a reduction in RF interference. Now, IIRC, ADSL2+ is particularly prone to AM interference and I did wonder whether I had some dodgy pirate radio station in my vacinity kicking out noise into the airwaves every evening. Would you believe it, I have! (Men chanting "I've got a massive chip on my shoulder" to electronic drums and electronic bass isn't my cup of tea. ) I would correlate the noise with the falling SNR but I can't bear to listen to it.

Moreover, ADSL2+ should retrain anyway, so why a reboot is needed escapes me.

Very interesting topic, however.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

2. Advertisement
      LuckyKnight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Just had to reboot again. My SNR is 5.3 db. Do you think it is possible for Sky to set the target SNR at something like 0? Because he squeezed an extra 500k, but I'd rather have line stability instead.

Shouldn't it always resync about 6db? The tier 3 support changed something as well as turning off interleaving.

The extra upload is very useful so I would like to keep it (hosting xbox 360 games on live).

I've noticed during the day my connection doesn't have any problems. It's when the SNR drops at night its when it happens.

LuckyKnight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Good news - the ADSL Nation filtered face plate has solved my poor connection issue at night. Perhaps it is to do with the extra filtering of interference.

I now stay above 6db (majority of the time). But I do not have any break up on skype and web sites continue to work at speed. Before with the supplied micro filter it would constantly drop to 1 - 2db which would result in a poor, unstable connection.

I just hope it stays like this I didn't gain any speed, but I gained some stability.

Note I still need to reboot it at night when the connection drops from 8mb to 6mb. However, if I leave it on 6mb during the day then that reboot should hopefully not be needed.

tadunne is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I'm convinced that rain isn't helping my connection.. MY connection connected at 2.5meg instead of the normal 5-6 meg the other day so I thought I would leave it to see how stable that is. I've had a contant 10-11 noise margin for about 36 hours now and no disconects or slowdowns. Until just now its started to rain and the noise margin dropped to 7db.

Could part of my line be exposed to the elements be a problem, if so can sky get BT to fix it?

firestorm_westy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Not trying to spoil the fun, but I have a noise margin that never drops below 10, and I still have constant slow down / loss of connection - Driving me crackers!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314