Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Sync speed & Noise margin

This is a discussion on Sync speed & Noise margin within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; @ LuckyKnight Your connection doesn't sound too good. I reckon you'll have to go back to Sky T3. I got ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      @ LuckyKnight

Your connection doesn't sound too good. I reckon you'll have to go back to Sky T3.

I got a BT engineer out. He cleaned up the connection in the outside box then replaced the old mastersocket with a new filtered one. He also replaced an old filtered socket on another ADSL line I have as he said they tend to degrade after a few years.

2. Advertisement
      bardo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I realise that the reason my connection is now stable (60 hours +) after loads of disconnects for the first few days is that my sync has now dropped from 15000kbps to 9000kbps. I have never phoned up Support to ask them to lower the sync, though I was thinking of doing so, so either Sky are monitoring lines anyway, and have tweaked the line, or the ADSL2+ firmware has re-trained the line. Either way I am happy because the max speed I have had is 8444 on Speedtest, so it's been set to a reasonable level. Perhaps all my reboots finally alerted someone or some software that something needed to be done.

LuckyKnight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @ Saturday

Who did you call (at BT)? Was it free?

@ tadunne

It is turned on by default and can add as much as 30ms to your ping. When hosting games that is doubled (back and forward). You need to be very determined to get to tier 3, to get past the noob CS agents.

My db is contantly fluctuating below 6db causing break up on Skype, slow websites etc. I will have to speak to them again tomorrow Or maybe I should call BT but I guess they will take there time.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      BT. It is free if you have a fault with your line/mastersocket. I gave the engineer something for his trouble

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Does vanilla Netgear firmware support this - maybe someone who has reflashed their router can say.
      From what I've read, it should but nearly all modems don't do it very well, so I'd expect the native Netgear firmware to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Having an old mastersocket and not liking the microfilter dongles I got a friendly BT engineer in to fit a new filtered faceplate and clean up the connections a bit. I was chuffed to say the least that when I reconnected the router resynced at 14500kbps (again at about 7.0 noise margin but with an improved attenuation of 38.5). However, what I found really surprising and don't have an answer for is that the normal evening plummet has been replaced by a more manageable dip of 2.0 in the noise margin (which I understand is perfectly normal).
      The filtering faceplate not only filters and splits the signal, more importantly, it prevents RF interference getting back into the composite signal. In simple terms, your phone extensions are like a huge RF aerial round your house on which is great if you want to use it as an aerial to listen to the radio (note: I'm not suggesting trying that!) but it's not so cool to send the RF carrier back down your nice clean ADSL signal. Hence why the speed leaps when you use that faceplate.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Broadbean is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Rebooting every 24 Hours

I have been very pleased with Sky. In terms of signing me up, sending me the router, activating the service and sticking to agreed dates they have been excellent. But...you knew there would be a but!.....I am having trouble maintaining a useable and stable connection. I signed up for the MAX package even though I knew I would only be able to get 3.5Mb download speed (I need the uncapped user limit). Once activated I achieved this speed immediately. But within around 8 hours my speed had collapsed to sub-dialup levels and I could no longer load web pages. The router reported I was still connected. A reboot of the router brought me back up to 3.5Mb but the problem recurs every 24 hours. My PC is off over night and when I boot up first thing in the morning I ALWAYS have to reboot the router before I can get on line.
      Sky technical support (0800 0510317) have been very helpful. I eventually got through to Tier 3 support (long wait - make sure you use that 0800 number!) who reduced my line speed to 3Mb in the hope of improving stability. It hasn't helped. My SNR was 6db before my speed was capped and this has now risen to 11db. But my signal still fades away over time. When it does so, the SNR is reading no more than 6 or 7db.
      Would a further capping of my line help? My attenuation figure is high (59db) because I am a couple of km from the exchange. I would be happy to have, say, a 2Mb service that was ultra reliable than a 3Mb one that is flaky.
      Would a change of package help? Am I more prone to problems being on the MAX service? Would a step down to MID help me if I could live with the 40Gb cap?
      Any advice appreciated.

LuckyKnight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well as for the topic about the ADSL faceplates from ADSL Nation. I have received one today and my router is reporting a slightly worse connection!

I've noticed that the faceplate has extension for both voice and ADSL at the back plate - surely the latter would reduce the connection stats because of a un-needed unwired extension?

ADSL Nation:
      ===========

DSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7999 kbps 983 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.5 db 26.3 db
      Noise Margin 8.3 db 6.0 db

Supplied micro filter:
      =====================

ADADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7999 kbps 990 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.0 db 26.2 db
      Noise Margin 8.7 db 5.5 db

@ Broadbean

Your not the only one with this problem! The web just dies, skype breaks up, torrents go down to 0. Usually a reboot fixes it.

It does not lose sync.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @LuckyKnight

Couple of things: firstly the difference is not statistically significant. Try taking 100 measurements with each faceplate and you'll see what I mean! Secondly, the ADSL Nation kit does sometimes report a fall in the SNR. However, don't get too hung up about that because the SNR is averaged over usable frequencies. Cheaper filters have reduced usable frequencies, but the ADSL Nation ones can use a greater frequency range including those with more noise. So, when the SNR is averaged out across all usable bands, it is lower but the bandwidth is actually higher. The lesson is that meaning of a SNR is dependent on many factors and to compare them without taking into account a zillion other things is likely to lead to invalid conclusions.

HTH
      M
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      @broadbean

You're not alone with this problem. When your connection drops, reboot your router. It will resync at a slightly lower speed but more importantly at a higher noise margin. You may have to do this more than once in an evening depending how bad your problem is.

Now leave your router on (that's what they're designed to be). From then on you wont have a problem unless you lose power to the router.

If you feel you must turn off your router then you'll have to call Sky and ask them to cap your connection.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by mossywell View Post
      The filtering faceplate not only filters and splits the signal, more importantly, it prevents RF interference getting back into the composite signal.
      I understand that. The question which I posed is why have I gone from a drop of 7 noise margin each evening to a dip of 2?

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast