Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Sync speed & Noise margin

This is a discussion on Sync speed & Noise margin within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; you could try purchasing shielded cable for your internal wiring. BT , unfortunately are under no obligation to improve their ...

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      you could try purchasing shielded cable for your internal wiring. BT, unfortunately are under no obligation to improve their wiring to help your ADSL connection. If it was causing problems with your phone line they would have to try and resolve it for you.

2. Advertisement
      tadunne is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      When you get stupid numbers like that it means it's in the minus figures.. it's a well know netgear bug

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      For the guy using your linksys router..

how do you get your sky username/password. Can it be done without re-flashing the router?

stevem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSCHES
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      No , it can't be obtained any other way. There is nothing to stop you 'restoring' the original firmware back off the CD afterwards though.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      There is lack of windows machine and the flashing route seems a bit risky..

bardo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I am getting generally good responses throughout the day and evening but it seems that everytime I try and use the connection at about 6a.m-ish it doesn't respond and soon usually disconnects. This morning when I looked I had ridiculous noise margin values going down to 0.1! and never more than about 5db. I then started to reboot the router with no joy until at about 7a.m it seemed to connect giving me a reasonable noise margin (more than 8db which seems to work OK). I have no known electrical interference at that time in the morning and I wouldn't expect hordes of other users to be making use of the Easynet box at that time either, so I can't imagine why I should be getting such low margins at that time.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      This seems to be the way my lines goes between 19:30 and 23:00 the line just gets crappy. Although some nights it's worse than others. I have also had the problem during the day. Thursday night was really bad. I would reboot and it would be fine for a min, then the noise margin would plummet to 0.1-0.3. Then at about 23:00 the speed was mega fast, even with a low noise margin of 4.8. Go figure..

During all the reboots my line was constantly syncing at between 5800-6200. So I think sky need to tweak something to make my line connect at a lower speed? and thus give me a bigger noise margin to play with..

The problem I have now is that the tier 1 people say they have spoken to tier 3 people and they said that they did a test and it came back with a possible problem on the line!? and the sky BT deptment will look into this and call me back between 3-5 working days. 5 working days was up yesterday, so I called and the tier 1 lady said that the tier 3 people are still waiting on BT and they should call by the end of the week.

Maybe I'm paranoid I'm starting to wonder if I've actually got thru to tier 3 as I've not actually spoke to one yet..

I also think that the crappy speeds I'm getting are sometimes related to congestion on the sky network or their dns servers being overloaded..

LuckyKnight is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I thought on ADSL2+ you were supposed to get a higher sync than ADSL?

Sky Broadband:
      ===========

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8665 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.0 db 26.2 db
      Noise Margin 3.7 db 12.0 db

Connection Speed 7357 kbps 764 kbps
      Noise Margin 10.1 db 12.0 db

DSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6182 kbps 764 kbps
      Noise Margin 9.1 db 12.5 db

Old BT MaxDSL stats:
      ================

Connection Speed 7424 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39 db 11 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 23 db

Each Sky broadband sync is taken after a reboot (when connection seems to die). I'm used to getting a lower sync at night on BT MaxDSL but it never disconnects (it stays about 7mb all day, but if I did reset it during the day it would be 8mb).

The checker web sites I should get around 12mb? (approx. 1.59km from exchange as crow flies).

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKnight View Post

The checker web sites I should get around 12mb? (approx. 1.59km from exchange as crow flies).
      Your line attenuation is poor so I'd guess your line takes a few detours on its way to your house

Also, with noise margin that low I'd guess you're seeing a lot of disconnects in the evening. Mine dies at around 5.5.

As you probably know, your router will resync at a lower speed if you reboot at a low noise margin figure.

Do you have a filtered mastersocket front plate? I fitted one and my sync went up by 5Mb+ compared to the crappy dongle filters. Worth every penny.

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      with them noise margins that speed is about right, i also get a noise margin drop at around tea time all i do is unplug the cable to the router from the BT box and plug it back in easyer then rebooting the router i then get a stable con all night
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast