Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Sucks - Chap Authentication Failed - Two Weeks later no help

This is a discussion on Sky Sucks - Chap Authentication Failed - Two Weeks later no help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well as the thread title says, We have had Sky Max since Nov 2006, worked great, no problems and no ...

sky_sucks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs down Sky Sucks - Chap Authentication Failed - Two Weeks later no help

Well as the thread title says,

We have had Sky Max since Nov 2006, worked great, no problems and no down time, and now
      Two weeks ago we have had a problem

CHAP Authentication failed...

i have called sky about 30 times, been told to call back 29 times... received very very little help, no offer for re-imbursment of the rental (only 10 pounds a month but its not the point)

on saturday they said they would call me within three days = still no call.......

ive tried everything, master socket, taking master socket apart and plugging directly into the socket to bypass any extension... put microfilters on every socket in the house..
      restarted the router- rebooted - reset....

we have 5 laptops on the wireless router... when i first spoke to them they told me to send my laptop back to the manufacturer!!!!

the router sees a upload and download speed... but cannot get the ip address from the exchange..

i would appreciated if anyone has a fix for this... as i dont think sky are going to help me! we are all pretty disgusted with there service... we are actually thinking about completely getting rid of our sky package , we have full package and max internet so it will be there loss....

anyones help would be so gratefully appreciated..

please list similar experience if you are not happy aswell.

r

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Sucks - Chap Authentication Failed - Two Weeks later no help

just an update - just called sky and got put through to tier 3.. he done a few line checks and said they should have been done before i was put onto him... he decided that the box must be faulty and is going to send a new one out - which will take 3 - 5 days to arrive....
      IF this DOES work... that means it ONLY took them three weeks to find the problem....

if it doesnt work well consider them cancelled... contract or not.........

first the sky box (from new)... then the sky router.... not much else they can do wrong from my point of view..

will let you know if this chap authentication is corrected by a new router...

they also said that my line can handle 12mbps and im only getting 5 - 6 mbps... this may be our own lines though i spose

ciao for now.

Draig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sly anymore
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Good luck with it.

Same sort of reason I left Sky - bad service.

When it works it is great, when you get a problem, actually getting someone at Sky to take responsibilty and fix your problems is a nightmare.

It often takes weeks to get a problem resolved, unlike other ISP's where it would be hours, or at worst, a few days - not weeks.

It costs you a small fortune phoning them. They fail to call you back most of the time. So you call again to be told the same old crap - wait for another phone call (5 more days). It is disgusting.

Peopel reading this who have not had a problem (or a minor one) I am sure are happy enough with Sky. Just be aware if ever you DO get a problem it is a frustrating going in circles dilemma, that costs you a lot of time, no service and money.

I had such high hopes for Sky, but they have let themselves down very badly on the customer service side especially. Not as if they don't have the money to put more resource into this issue is it?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i am unaware of the call charge rates for phoning them... but i would say i have been on the phone at least 5 - 6 hours... the worse was being on hold for 55 minutes.... and then hanging up in a rage at being on hold so long - stupid me for waiting so long!

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by sky_sucks View Post
      i am unaware of the call charge rates for phoning them... but i would say i have been on the phone at least 5 - 6 hours... the worse was being on hold for 55 minutes.... and then hanging up in a rage at being on hold so long - stupid me for waiting so long!
      horrible to say but you will have a hefty phone bill there

thats my argument with a couple of people on here they say you pay 17 a month you should put up with it dont think of the endless calls you have to make to sky

anyway look in sky unhappiness forum and you will see many like you

just hope the new offical sky member on here will take note of all that is complained and report back to HQ
      Last edited by newskyBOd; 15-05-07 at 05:08 PM.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Who's the official Sky member??

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

He/she hasn't posted on here yet I don't think.

Chezbug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I believe the call charges are in the region of 7-8p/min Freephone numbers crop up from time to time but not for long - they get shut down pretty quickly ( I just tried 2 and they direct you to the dreaded 0870 number).

Can you borrow another router from someone and see if that works. Using a different router has helped me get a stable connection. Please bear in mind though, I wasn't getting the same problem as you and I'm no expert troubleshooter when it comes to routers - that's why I'm advising you to borrow one if you can instead of wasting more money!