Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Message for SKEET

This is a discussion on Message for SKEET within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi SKEET - I wonder if you could offer me any advice please? I have been on Sky MAX since ...

JED
      JED is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GEDLING
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Message for SKEET

Hi SKEET - I wonder if you could offer me any advice please? I have been on Sky MAX since March and before that was with another ISP. With both ISPs I have always noticed noise on the line - sometimes it is not there, but other times the phone is practically unuseable. I have noticed that unplugging the router sometimes gets rid of the noise too? I have tried many tests - plugging a cabled phone into the master socket (which sometimes does reduce the problem) but the other day I noticed that whenever the phone is picked up or rings, the router loses its connection? My attenuation is always around the 45 to 47dB mark but before getting the service capped at 4096kbps, the best I could see was around 2Mbps? The noise margin is usually around the 15dB mark (suggesting to me that I could get a higher speed than 4096) but as soon as the phone is answered it drops to below 5dB and then disconnects.

I have tried a few filters - could it be that they are just ALL faulty? I am debating buying an ADSL nation filtered face plate - do you think this would get rid of the noise and give me potentially an increase in speed?

Last night I took at corded phone and plugged it into the test socket, which removed the extension wiring which the router is plugged into, therefore disconnecting everything basically apart from a single corded phone. The noise was still there - quite badly for a while and then it seemed to go for a while and then come back? I am sure that something is wrong and that solving this would solve everything!

Any comments would really help me out - I am dubious about calling BT out if they say there is no fault?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Message for SKEET

If you want to contact a specific member, please use the private message function.

JED
      JED is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GEDLING
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Message for SKEET

Sorry - will do