Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

unable to connect!

This is a discussion on unable to connect! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all my mum has been told her line is activated but she cannot connect to the net, the internet ...

redgaz26 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

unable to connect!

hi all my mum has been told her line is activated but she cannot connect to the net, the internet light is not on on the router, in network connections(xp) it says it's connected and so should be working?

2. Advertisement
      Skelly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackburn
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: unable to connect!

Quote Originally Posted by redgaz26 View Post
      hi all my mum has been told her line is activated but she cannot connect to the net, the internet light is not on on the router, in network connections(xp) it says it's connected and so should be working?
      I had this problem as well. What you need to do is make sure that you plug the filter in at the phone where the BT phone cable very first enters the house. Also, if your computer is using an extension cable, then you should not plug anything into the phone socket on this filter that the broadband cable is now plugged in to.

All phone points downsteam of this all need a filter as well, or else the broadband won't work.

Hope this helps.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
      I had this problem as well. What you need to do is make sure that you plug the filter in at the phone where the BT phone cable very first enters the house. Also, if your computer is using an extension cable, then you should not plug anything into the phone socket on this filter that the broadband cable is now plugged in to.

All phone points downsteam of this all need a filter as well, or else the broadband won't work.

Hope this helps.
      ok not sure what you mean but she has two phone sockets one downstairs and one upstairs next to the computer, so do you plug a filter in downstair even though the router will be upstairs?
      also what do you mean about an extension cable?

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

i think and quote me if im wrong that you will need every phone point you have filtered

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yes she has the filter plugged in downstairs aswell, but why would you have to do that if the router is plugged in upstairs?
      is it time for her to phone sky?

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

i can only go by we had a extention phoneline put in for upstairs multiroom and both points have filters on the sky engineer said they had to both be filtered

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

if the light isnt on in network connections means the ethernet card isnt enabled

have you tried enabling the card or am i barking up the wrong tree

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

how do you enable the card?
      i got sky broadband myself a couple of weeks ago and had no problems, but i've got a mac(not trying to be smart but it does everything for you) so unsure of how to help her!

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

goto network connections right click on the local area connection properties then configure at the bottom it says enable or disbale

hope that helps

Nebiroth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok not sure what you mean but she has two phone sockets one downstairs and one upstairs next to the computer, so do you plug a filter in downstair even though the router will be upstairs?
      You need to plug a filter into both of them. The installation guide tells you this.

Remember that whilst the points are separate in your house, they are all connected to the same phone line. This is why every socket on that line needs a filter - the exception being if there is nothing plugged into the socket.

The filters are to stop normal telephone equipment and the modem in the router from interfering with each other. At every point on the same line where such equipment is connected, you need a filter there.

If the "internet light" on the router is not on, that means that the router has not connected to the outside world. When XP says "network connected" it means that it has made a connection to your router.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast