Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using other routers/firewalls

This is a discussion on Using other routers/firewalls within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm new here. I have a very important question to me. I am using an old PC as my ...

ZZR6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMBOSTO
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Using other routers/firewalls

Hi, I'm new here.

I have a very important question to me. I am using an old PC as my Firewall/AV/DHCP server/SPAM filter on my network. I want to be able to continue using this setup but am not sure what all this stuff about SKY routers is about.

Will I be forced to use their equipment if I sign up? ( i dont want or need wireless). And I certainly dont want McAffee etc on my PC. They are all useless in comparison to my system.

Do they support outbound migration?

Its such a shame they are forcing ppl to use their equipment as I'm sure a lot more would sign up given the choice if I read this all correctly.

Thanks guys

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Using other routers/firewalls

There is no reason why you can't use the equipment you mention. The server and the wireless functions of the router can be turned off quite easily.

The T & Cs require that you use the router, but if you have browsed the forum you will know that many ignore this requirement. I doubt if many of the forum users have installed the AV offered. One of the first and most consistent pieces of advice given here is, don't use the disk!

All ISPs are required by law to issue MACs, when requested.

I don't think you are correct in saying more would join if they could use their own equipment. There is nothing basically wrong with the router supplied, in fact it has received many very good reviews. The biggest complaint is about the firmware it uses, which hopefully, will be updated fairly soon. I think the offer of a free wireless router has contributed largely to the numbers who have signed up. I believe the figure is now about 700,000

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So i could use my box with its internal PCI BB modem to connect then?
      Sorry to ask so many questions, but I dont want to migrate and find I cant use mine as I want.

Cheers

Thanks

By following advice in other parts of the forum, there is no reason why you can't. However I don't see the point in using an inferior PCI modem rather than the router supplied by Sky.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Because the system I use relies on the internal modem. IPCop and other linux software is what I use.

Thanks

I don't think the OS you are using will matter. If you replace the PCI modem with an NIC card and connect this to the router, your setup will be the same. I take it you have a multi port NIC card or a switch/hub to feed your network. The only problem you may have is if anything goes wrong. Mention Linux to Sky CS and after being asked to spell it 2 or 3 times you will be told, Oh we don't support that, you must use XP! You would probably have to connect the router direct to an XP PC to trouble-shoot the connection.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't think the OS you are using will matter. If you replace the PCI modem with an NIC card and connect this to the router, your setup will be the same. I take it you have a multi port NIC card or a switch/hub to feed your network. The only problem you may have is if anything goes wrong. Mention Linux to Sky CS and after being asked to spell it 2 or 3 times you will be told, Oh we don't support that, you must use XP! You would probably have to connect the router direct to an XP PC to trouble-shoot the connection.

I use a hub connected to the Modem/DHCP box to which the other pc's are connected. The Server is then connected directly to the BB connection via PCI Modem. I get where you are going with this now. I have 2 network cards in the server already one of which is redundant. I think I need to do some research into the way my server connects to the internet.

Thanks bud