Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Windows 98 and Sky router

This is a discussion on Windows 98 and Sky router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, i have windows 98 and wanted to set up the internet connection on that PC, i didnt have a ...

k9028 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Windows 98 and Sky router

Hi, i have windows 98 and wanted to set up the internet connection on that PC, i didnt have a PCI card, so i purchased one as i phoned sky and they said i needed a pci card. Anyways i installed that in and the internet still don't work... all 3 lights are on, and everything is connected... So i phoned sky and then they said how its Windows 98 and i need to update it? so what do i do, is there any way to make it work on Windows 98??

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Windows 98 and Sky router

you need an ethernet card with the latest drivers

as for windows 98 its fine for them to say update it what they mean is update winxp or vista

you may get winxp cheap now if you can its worth buying it

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky CS, as I believe sometimes happens, isn't quite right.

So long as your wireless adapter or ethernet card has a driver for Win98 (check you don't have 98SE which is better for networking) you should be able to connect to the router and get on the internet.

The rub is that Win98 (and SE) make much more of a meal of networking than XP (or Vista). I know because my neighbour, a professional computer tech, set up my original broadband connection on 98SE and there was a lot of swearing. When I switched to XP I set it myself with ease.

Hopefully a 98 enthusiast here will take you through the necessaries. But my advice is, if the hardware will bear it, get hold of a copy of XP.
      Last edited by fihart; 11-05-07 at 06:06 PM. Reason: punctuation

k9028 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k9028 View Post
      Hi, i have windows 98 and wanted to set up the internet connection on that PC, i didnt have a PCI card, so i purchased one as i phoned sky and they said i needed a pci card. Anyways i installed that in and the internet still don't work... all 3 lights are on, and everything is connected... So i phoned sky and then they said how its Windows 98 and i need to update it? so what do i do, is there any way to make it work on Windows 98??

Thanks

Erm how do i make it work on Windows 98?? ive got everything connected and everything installed....

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

we dont know what card (make ) you got but as said above make sure you get the drivers for win98 you can do a search on google im sure or look up the make of your card

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you have a LAN port on the board, many older boards have this built in. Look on the back and see if you have a socket which you can plug the ethernet cable into. If you have and you can't see it in Windows, it probably needs enabled in the BIOS. Setting up with ethernet is always the best bet, even if you intend to go wireless.

HERE is a tutorial on setting up a network in '98. It can be done but requires a lot more input than later OSs.