Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Problems ordering Sky ADSL

This is a discussion on Problems ordering Sky ADSL within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by FrostFree All I can wish you is luck, sky seem unable to deal with line provisioning if ...

Perseus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Problems ordering Sky ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by FrostFree View Post
      All I can wish you is luck, sky seem unable to deal with line provisioning if the process encounters any form of error.
      Frostfree
      That's because the interaction of the front end and back end systems, for some reason .... god knows why ... doesn't always work. Notifications go missing and so the front end system gets stuck waiting for the back end system to talk to it, even though it's already sent the message. The front end system sits there waiting .... and waiting ... and waiting.

Doesn't help that the software was written in the 1980s. I can't believe Sky haven't got this right.

Bottom line, it's nothing to do with the Provisioning team's ability or intelligence (ok sometimes it is human error when dealing with exceptions) but 90% of the time, if your order hits an exception, it is system problems. 5% of the time, it's the customer providing the incorrect information (eg. MAC) and 5% of the time it's Prov error.

2. Advertisement
      ianmcmillan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LANGSIDE
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSx View Post
      Communications is a problem - Provisioning are told to give no timescales at all now, other departments don't necessarily have this information; although I let people know its a matter of weeks rather than days...
      A matter of months more like!

I'm still stuck on pre-active cancel since 12th April. I do want Sky broadband, but its becoming less likely its going to happen with no end in sight from my eyes and Sky ignoring written complaints too.

Gonna be contacting trading standards with regards to the whole 12 month TV contract scenario, suspect Sky have got their bums well covered from a legal perspective though :-(

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcmillan View Post
      A matter of months more like!

I'm still stuck on pre-active cancel since 12th April. I do want Sky broadband, but its becoming less likely its going to happen with no end in sight from my eyes and Sky ignoring written complaints too.

Gonna be contacting trading standards with regards to the whole 12 month TV contract scenario, suspect Sky have got their bums well covered from a legal perspective though :-(
      I keep hearing varying rumours. The last (unofficial) timescale I heard was 2-3 months. I have recently heard its now almost 7 months though, but thats certainly not confirmed by anyone directly...

alex250 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willaston
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ordered Sky broadband on 13th July after being reassured they accept LLU Mac codes,
      requested my mac code from current ISP (plusnet Tiscali llu) and passed onto Sky 16th July
      received my bb router and a letter saying activation 25th July,
      then on 20th received a letter saying my Mac code had been rejected and to phone up, which I did to be told we accept some tiscali Llu mac's but not all depends on the exchange,
      Have gone back to my current ISP to ask to cease and received a cease date of 8th Aug,
      Then received notification that my cease had been rejected with no reason why (I'm not in contract or overdue)

Can anyone shed any light on what the issue may be - has sky got my line stuck into some limbo?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You can really only find this out from Plusnet, Sky are very unlikely to have anything to do with being unable to 'cease' the line. It could be connected to the fact that you have an outstanding MAC. These are live for 30 days and it may not be possible to cease the connection until the MAC expires. I don't know if it is possible to cancel a MAC.

lifechooser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I just phoned up again, and was told;

Bad news - you're still on pre-active cancel.
      Good news - We have a fix in place now, give us a mac code and we can process your order.

Before I phone pipex for my 4th mac code since this all began, can someone confirm that this fix is for real?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've just seen the sticky thread about this, but it doesn't seem to clear up the confusion. Some people seem to have had success, others haven't. I guess I should just give it a try...

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

At risk of talking to myself.

OMGG It actually worked. I'm now on Sky broadband.

The speed is a bit variable though, but I guess it will be for the first fortnight or so while the optimise the link.

Tues eve - 6.2mbps
      Wed eve - 2.2mbps
      Fri morn - 623 kbps

According to speedtest.net.

I'm on the mid package. I asked for the max but was told that my line would only go to 7.8mbps so not to bother.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123