Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I get some advice please?

This is a discussion on Can I get some advice please? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi people thank you for taking a look at my thread I just hope someone can advise me the best ...

Judderman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can I get some advice please?

Hi people thank you for taking a look at my thread I just hope someone can advise me the best route to take with sky now... anyway here goes....

2 weeks ago I moved into a new house and decided I would give SKY a try, since the deal is really awsome and I wanted a TV package too, I've been currently put on the mid package (upto 8mb / 40gb dl per month which I can live with untill I can get max) However this is where the problem begins I can only get 288kbp up and down!!

The phone line was "oficially activated" yesterday on the 9th, but the true fact is i've been on it since my router turned up over a week ago, plugged it in and to my amazement it was working, checked the sync speeds etc and it looked as if it was capped to 288kbps since it was not officially activated by then I thought I best leave it (not hassle tech support, as i thought it would increase), but sure enough over the week and a bit the line speed did _not_ increase one bit, its seems to be capped becasue if i try to reset it no matter how many times it will come back with the same up/down without fail.

I'm a little lost now, i've spoken to sky yesterday who after doing some really basic checks escellated it to tier two immediatly on the same day. and asked me to call today to which i was back at tier 1 "who tried to contact tier 2!!"" but go no response i was told they would ring me again today but no luck yet, its only 9pm I guess theres time.... but i don't hold much luck as when i called today for the first time someone picked up and put the bloody phone back down again, that really made me see red - how cheeky!!!

I'm a new customer to sky never been with them before, yound lad moving into his first house so to speak, they are really getting my nose up - customer service one week in is making me want to leave.

Anyway i've been reading these forums over the past week at work trying to work something out and wondered if anyone of you guys could take a look at my settings and maybe point out something that I might be missing or can maybe give me some advice to get these people at sky to do something.

Router settings are::

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 288 Kbps, Downstream rate = 288 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 30.3 29.0
      Attn(dB): 22.0 12.5
      Pwr(dBm): 5.7 11.5
      Max(Kbps): 10336 1140
      Rate (Kbps): 288 288
      G.dmt framing
      K: 10(0) 10
      R: 0 0
      S: 1 1
      D: 1 1
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 10 10
      M: 1 1
      T: 1 1
      R: 0 0
      S: 1.0000 1.0000
      L: 88 88
      D: 1 1
      Counters
      SF: 85394 85392
      SFErr: 0 0
      RS: 0 0
      RSCorr: 0 0
      RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 0 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 986133 0
      Data Cells: 68776 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 0 0
      SES: 0 0
      UAS: 13 0
      Total time = 24 min 28 sec
      SF = 85394
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 1 day time = 24 min 28 sec
      SF = 85394
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 15 minutes time = 9 min 28 sec
      SF = 33405
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 51989
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

Hope someone can shed some light on this... just a few other things I would like to add

I live in the town center the exchange is _under_ 500 meters I think its 459m to be exact you can walk to it in less than 5 mins..

also:

On getting through to sky last night he said he had worked out i have been put on the lowest sky package, he said something like BT 200, and was getting this changed, he said this might take upto 24hours but could be working within 2 hours - is this true or just spiel they feed the rabbits? oh and i've tried running a 5m extension from the master socket this has not increased, also to add, all points in my house are BT boxes which look to be professionally fitted.

Thanks for reading my long and boring thread hope you can help
      Last edited by Judderman; 10-05-07 at 10:17 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Can I get some advice please?

Welcome to the forum

For some reason you've been capped at 288/288.

Give it a couple of days to see if Sky sort this out. If not - post back.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just got off the line from tier 2 again, really nice guy he says hes going to regrade the line again - is that a BT job, or something sky can change instantly? yesterday he said this could be done in 2 hours in some cases, but i guess exchanges do have technicians in over night to change things on the fly?

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well if you are on Mid package then you should be connected to Sky equipment in the exchange so its there job to sort it out, dont know the time scale though.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nah it must be the connect package then, its costing me 5pm and the tech support guy said the equipment in the exchange was owned by BT LLU.