Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connect user with intermittent connection problems

This is a discussion on Connect user with intermittent connection problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Signed up a few months ago but suffering on/off problems using the internet over the last month or so. All ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connect user with intermittent connection problems

Signed up a few months ago but suffering on/off problems using the internet over the last month or so. All the lights on the router are lit as normal but when I click the internet explorer icon it cannot load the page. The green bar at the bottom right just gets stuck and the page never loads. When I tried to call Sky the weekend finally (on the premium rate number) I was told they were very busy and to call back BUT they were experiencing problems with peoples connections and these would be resolved asap. Later that day I connected fine.

As I said this has happened on and off over the last 3/4 weeks - this cannot be constant problems at Skys end can it ? I thought I may get a quicker (and cheaper) answer by posting my query on here rather than sitting on hold for half an hour.

I appear to be able to sign into Xbox Live ok when this occurs but cannot load webpages. Any ideas ?

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Connect user with intermittent connection problems

You might try turning off UPnP in the router. I've experienced constant disconnects on a wireless connection which was cured that way.

ronburgess is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crewe (Haslington)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: SkyHD anytime+
      Thanks

whats your Noise margin (log into your router user= sky p/w = admin.) look at the statistics. If your Noise margin is below 6 or even under 7.5 then you are probably hovering at the borderline connection. The default is set to connect at 7 but I find my margin degrades to the point of no or very very slow. The only way is to turn off router and recconnect.There is a utility/webpage (mognuts) (Thanks btw to him) where u can set your target noise margin log in to a higher value, it involves a disconnect +reconnect (1 minute) . Unfortunately I think you have to do this each time if you turn your router off. Noise levels increase for all sorts of reasons. Heavy rain yesterday upset mine. Increased use from other users seems to affect it also. (when everyone comes in from school/work and logs on) Mognuts is a SKYforum user I think. Use this
      Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.3
      try setting the target noise to 108 (default is 100) and press set. takes a minute to reconnect
      Hope this helps
      Last edited by ronburgess; 10-05-07 at 04:40 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Connect has had a lot of problems over the past few weeks. It is happening all over the country, so you are not alone with your problem. This thread-
      No Broadband (Again), BT Wholesale Error??? has a lot of info concerning this. Have a look and see if it applies to you.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronburgess View Post
      whats your Noise margin (log into your router user= sky p/w = admin.) look at the statistics. If your Noise margin is below 6 or even under 7.5 then you are probably hovering at the borderline connection. The default is set to connect at 7 but I find my margin degrades to the point of no or very very slow. The only way is to turn off router and recconnect.There is a utility/webpage (mognuts) (Thanks btw to him) where u can set your target noise margin log in to a higher value, it involves a disconnect +reconnect (1 minute) . Unfortunately I think you have to do this each time if you turn your router off. Noise levels increase for all sorts of reasons. Heavy rain yesterday upset mine. Increased use from other users seems to affect it also. (when everyone comes in from school/work and logs on) Mognuts is a SKYforum user I think. Use this
      Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.3
      try setting the target noise to 108 (default is 100) and press set. takes a minute to reconnect
      Hope this helps
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1695 1887 0 1255 5645 00:05:10
      LAN 10M/100M 115 5 0 92 3 00:05:34
      WLAN 11M/54M 2206 1961 0 5930 1370 00:05:24

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2752 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.9 db 17.0 db

Here are my stats. We have had a bit of rain over the last day or so but nothing major. I live in Ashford, Kent.

So does anyone know what is causing these problems and what steps Sky are taking to resolve them ?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      You might try turning off UPnP in the router. I've experienced constant disconnects on a wireless connection which was cured that way.
      I have turned off UPnP but have no idea what it is - haha. Can you enlighten me ?

From reading the BT wholesale problem thread it sounds like thousands of customers are having issues too. I will see if any better with this turned off though.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have turned off UPnP but have no idea what it is - haha. Can you enlighten me ?
      Put simply it is a protocol that, among other things, assists various devices, such as games consoles, to to connect to the router. You can read more about it in Wikipedia