Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing to Sky

This is a discussion on Changing to Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Everyone, I'm thinking of moving to Sky for my broadband. I'm currently with BT and am very happy with ...

glyndav is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Changing to Sky

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of moving to Sky for my broadband. I'm currently with BT and am very happy with it, but 5 is very enticing. The problem I have though is the speeds that Sky is offering. At the moment I am getting 8meg from BT, and it averages out at about 7.3 so very happy with it. I live in Melton Mowbray and the exchange is ADSL and LLU enabled to 8meg. However, when putting my phone number into the sky website to check, it says that my phone line only supports up to 2meg, which I don't understand. When I put in my friends number (same exchange but 2 miles away, whereas I am 750 metres), it offers up to 5 meg. I phoned up Sky to query this, but the person I spoke to had no idea why as my exchange had already been upgraded.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or know what might be the reasons for this?

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Changing to Sky

Hi

Until you change to Sky, you will not know your full speed.

If you are getting 8mb at the moment, I can see no reason, why you should not get the same from Sky. Normally if using Sky's LLU kit you would see a slightly higher sync.

If you are only 750m away from the exchange I would definitely expect to see higher, but only if you go on MAX as that is up to 16mb. (which providing your cable from the exchange to your house is not routed all around the UK before it gets to you.

The database that BT and Sky use is years out of date. Mine shoed roughly 3.5mb but I get 7mb minimum.

You *should* not be any worse off speed wise.

Good luck.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glyndav View Post
      Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of moving to Sky for my broadband. I'm currently with BT and am very happy with it, but 5 is very enticing. The problem I have though is the speeds that Sky is offering. At the moment I am getting 8meg from BT, and it averages out at about 7.3 so very happy with it. I live in Melton Mowbray and the exchange is ADSL and LLU enabled to 8meg. However, when putting my phone number into the sky website to check, it says that my phone line only supports up to 2meg, which I don't understand. When I put in my friends number (same exchange but 2 miles away, whereas I am 750 metres), it offers up to 5 meg. I phoned up Sky to query this, but the person I spoke to had no idea why as my exchange had already been upgraded.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or know what might be the reasons for this?

Many thanks
      Your line could be miles longer - even though you are right next door

The lines dont go in straight lines to the exchange

However at 750metres from the exchange you should be able to get the full 16MB or close as - i was 235 metres from my old exchange and got 23MB on another provider

however 5 is the BT ADSLMAx upto 8MB 40GB cap connection.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK, thanks for that. I thought I should still get 8 meg on it. I was thinking that this is some limit that Sky might have capped it at though, as in no matter if I get 8 or 16 meg, I will still only get two. If thats not the case, then I am definitely going to give it a go!

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK I have just spoken to Sky, they say that the maximum speed I will get is 2.4 Meg. I have no idea why I would not be able to achieve higher, considering how much I am getting at the moment. This is the stats from my current router -

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
      Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
      Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 21.0
      SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 15.0

Melton Exchange shows as being "sky llu enabled" as well, so surely I should get better than two and a half meg?!