Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering switching to Sky Broadband.

This is a discussion on Considering switching to Sky Broadband. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there everyone! (first post ) I am currently on AOL Broadband Silver (not wireless) and have been since 2003. ...

Heybunny is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ecclesfield (SLEF)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Considering switching to Sky Broadband.

Hi there everyone! (first post )

I am currently on AOL Broadband Silver (not wireless) and have been since 2003. However I am considering switching to Sky Broadband Max for several reasons, which I'll get into next.

I play games online and am trying to do this more at the moment. I have been connecting my PS2 and Xbox/Xbox360 to the main PC which shares this connection via an ethernet cable for the past few years to play FFXI. Now I have a Nintendo Wii and a Nintendo DS, I would like to get both of these online.
      I was told by AOL that this connection type was not made to be shared, but have done so for a while now, but I do disconnect from FFXI a few times a day. I would like something more suitable for it that does not cost almost 25 a month.

I would also like to connect my computer up to the router via my current ethernet cable which is around 6 meters in length and use the wireless for the Wii and DS.

I applied for Sky Broadband Max a couple months ago when AOL gave me a MAC code...until Sky told me it was invalid. BT later told me that AOL had put a "tag" on the line, meaning this is going to mean up to a month offline to get everything sorted.
      But this does mean I already have the router and other parts needed.

Now I've explained my situation, I have a few questions if I may.

1) Is my exchange full? I don't really understand how these work, but I saw this thread and it's made me worry I can't get Max.

2) Will Max help me actually get faster speeds? AOL told me there was no point in switching as I was "capped at 1MB" but BT and Sky told me otherwise.

3) How reliable is Wireless internet? I have never used it before.

4) (off topic a bit, feel free to skip) I was given a "wireless network adapter" by a friend who said it would work with my wired Internet, but I can't get it to become an "access point" for my DS. Is this even possible?

5) I've heard a lot about randomly good/bad customer service, they have been very helpful when I've called about my Sky TV, but I'm assuming it's a different department. I've also heard of the router resetting multiple times each day which would make playing FFXI impossible and would put me in a worse position than I am now.

I guess I just want to know what the odds are of everything going smoothly or if it's a good idea to stick with AOL/look for another provider.

Thanks very much for reading and my apologies for such a long post. ^_^
      Last edited by Heybunny; 08-05-07 at 04:28 PM.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Considering switching to Sky Broadband.

Quote Originally Posted by Heybunny View Post
      Hi there everyone! (first post )
      3) How reliable is Wireless internet? I have never used it before.

4) (off topic a bit, feel free to skip) I was given a "wireless network adapter" by a friend who said it would work with my wired Internet, but I can't get it to become an "access point" for my DS. Is this even possible?

^_^
      Wireless can be unreliable and confusing to set up but it's convenient. I would avoid it you can conveniently connect direct.

A wireless network adapter would normally be used in conjunction with a wireless router not a wired network (tho' you can get two adapters to talk to each other). Sky supplies a wireless router.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am not a gamer but there have been many complaints from gamers concerning pings. Have browse through the Gaming Section for more information on this.

Unless you are a long way from the exchange or have a very bad line, you will almost certainly get better than 1Mb.

If your MAC was not used, AOL, by law, have to keep your line enabled. This is why it is 'tagged'. Obtaining another MAC should allow Sky to take over the line, unless it has been messed up by trying to use an invalid code.

You can check your exchange condition yourself by going to SamKnows

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Wireless can be unreliable and confusing to set up but it's convenient. I would avoid it you can conveniently connect direct.
      Is it that bad, I only ask as my brother looks like he is going to sign up for Sky (he is also with AOL) and I know he will want to use it wirelesses as he is now.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If your brother has already used wireless, perhaps the only new thing he needs to figure out is putting the encryption passphrase Sky supply into the wireless adapter.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I am on MAX, although not an avid gamer, my pings are great. However not everyone's are.

You will more than certainly get more than 1mb and at a cheaper price. Only changing over will give you the answers re pings and speed, as every person's connection is different. Don't forget you have 8 days from connection to leave if it all goes pear shaped, without penalty.

Even if you did leave, and go to another ISP, I am positive you would get a higher speed than your current one.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Thanks very much for the fast responses. ^_^

fihart: Yes I can connect wired for the most part, I only really need wireless for the DS and Wii to get online.

Isitme: Thanks for the information, I'll try to get another code from AOL. Our phone line is only a few years old, I just checked the SamKnows link and I'm about 1.6 miles from the exchange. Unfortunately however, it doesn't support wireless, I take it this means I can't get my DS or Wii online regardless.

NewsreadeR: Thanks, that's the kind of reassurance I needed!
      I tested my connection with the "test socket" method earlier and the speed didn't change. I wonder if AOL could have reduced it for some reason...

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heybunny View Post
      NewsreadeR: Thanks, that's the kind of reassurance I needed!
      I tested my connection with the "test socket" method earlier and the speed didn't change. I wonder if AOL could have reduced it for some reason...
      More than likely AOL have not changed you from standard ADSL that you orginally signed up to - to ADSLMAX, this started April 2006 and believe it or not 1000's of people are still on the old style ADSL and pay for it and accept it.

If you sign up to any BT based ISP, as a new customer, BT automatically place you on ADSLMAX which can give speeds of up to 8mb. Not everyone can get this, but nearly always if changed from ADSL to ADSLMAX there is a speed increase.

It costs IPS's approx 5.88 to make the change and I am surprised AOL did not offer it to you to keep your custom. Even if they did, you would still get more for your money from Sky LLU based products subject to your pings for gaming being satisfactory.

Good luck.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Wow, I had no idea, I feel kinda cheated now.

I just checked and I got this:

You are connected to the Ecclesfield telephone exchange.

ADSL is available in your area
      Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services

According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 3.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

Standard ADSL RAG results:
      You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
      You cannot receive 1Mbps ADSL <-- I am getting this now.
      You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
      You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

Haha, AOL also offer to drop my subscription to 9 a month to keep me when I called for my last MAC code but I refused because I thought I'd be on Sky within the month.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

You can't really go by those figures, but that confirms that AOL have not upgraded you.

Mine says roughly the same for ADSLMAX

your line should be able to support a 3.5Mbps
      On Sky I get just over 7mb, don't think because mine does that yours will, as every line is different. It just shows how out of date BT's database is.

Either way you should see at least 3.5mb so if you get more than that be very happy, if you can only get 3.5mb on Sky, then you are still better off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast