Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT Juntion Box Wiring problem?

This is a discussion on BT Juntion Box Wiring problem? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello All I have been connected to MAX for about a month now. Although the service have been reasonably consistent ...

Teloth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harlow , Essex
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT Junction Box Wiring problem?

Hello All

I have been connected to MAX for about a month now. Although the service have been reasonably consistent , I believe I should be able to get little bit better speed than this. Some users on this forum report around 7Mbit with similar or even slightly higher attenutaion than 51db.

We do not have any extensions at all in our house. I tried the test socket speed is around 4Mbit from the test socket . Fitted the XTE-2005 faceplate , no speed gain. I have the master socket downstairs right near the main door. My router is upstairs in my office. I run a 6 Meter ADSL cable from the ADSL port from the faceplate into my router. I thought it might be todo with this " long " ADSL cable , so I took the router downstairs and connected it to the master socket directly and on the faceplate ( to try to see any difference ) , speed is always consistent , between 3800 - 4300 .

I then had a look at my junction box just outside the main door. It looked like a colony of spiders had been living there happily for many years , lots of half eaten bugs and tons of web. I opened it up and gave it a little clean-up with a brush , thinking that this is what was causing noise on my line and effecting my speed , ( wishful thinking ! ) , nope speed is still the same.

Final experiment, i thought just to satisfy my curiousity , i disconnect the orange and blue wire ( it apperas to be the only ones doing anything anyway, as the other wires connected on the terminal don't seem to be going anywhere, not even sure why they are there, and connect them to the master socket directly, ( this is in thinking to eliminate any potential wire problem running from the junction box to my master socket ) , speed is yet again identical no change.

One final thing I can spot is the main drop cable on the terminal has quite rusty looking contacts , I havent touched these , and wondering if this could be having any effect on my speed, or simply this is the maximum speed I have and live with it. 4Mbit is not at all bad , compared to what I used to get from Bulldog ( 24.50 for 2Mbit ) , but I thought no harm in trying to get the max my line can support.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

My router stats and pictures of my master socket and my junction box outside attached.

Thank You

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 768 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3872 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 6.6 13.0
      Attn(dB): 51.0 29.0
      Pwr(dBm): 18.3 11.1
      Max(Kbps): 4416 1120
      Rate (Kbps): 3872 768
      G.dmt framing
      K: 122(0) 25
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 122 25
      M: 1 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 1.1300 8.6153
      L: 984 208
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 12856037 12856035
      SFErr: 266 10
      RS: 874210522 109276297
      RSCorr: 48127123 714
      RSUnCorr: 1274 0

HEC: 222 6
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 1995841761 0
      Data Cells: 6826703 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 207 0
      SES: 53 0
      UAS: 20 0
      Total time = 1 days 12 hours 42 min 57 sec
      SF = 12856037
      CRC = 266
      LOS = 56
      LOF = 0
      ES = 207
      Latest 1 day time = 12 hours 42 min 57 sec
      SF = 2692807
      CRC = 215
      LOS = 18
      LOF = 0
      ES = 156
      Latest 15 minutes time = 12 min 57 sec
      SF = 45756
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      SF = 5082439
      CRC = 31
      LOS = 13
      LOF = 0
      ES = 19
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BT Juntion Box Wiring problem?-picture-005.jpg   BT Juntion Box Wiring problem?-picture-007.jpg  
      Last edited by Teloth; 07-05-07 at 12:47 PM.

2. Advertisement
      newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: BT Juntion Box Wiring problem?

dont know if you looked here but lots on wiring etc

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

Yes, I have been reading through the cabling section , thats where I got the inspiration for the XTE-2005

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Anyone can help and / or ideas?

kipper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cool Re: BT Juntion Box Wiring problem?

Hi,
      just read your thread about junction box and slow speeds. I hope I am not insulting your intelligence, but have you considered how far you are from your exchange? Dont take your distance 'as the crow flies', it could be you are at the far end of the distance from the exchange. ( depending on the routing from the exchange ) As for the rusty looking connections, these could be your 'pair', that is a technical term for the wires into your home, it is possible this could be one of the reasons as well. Also sometimes BT double these up so that for example your neighbour is also using one wire of your, 'pair'. This depends on if they are running out of lines in your area.
      Hope this helps in someway,
      Kipper.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello

Thank you for your response.

I am around 3.5km from my exchange, this is reflected in my 51db attenuation , which is in line with that.

The question is , why is it that I can only manage to get a figure of 4000k connection , whereas, there are at least 10 posts on this forum from various people with same 51db attenuation or even higher , managing 6000k-7000k connection speeds. I understand, from reading this forum , is purely down to the line noise , somewhere .

I think I eliminated the possibility that the noise is to do with internal wiring , as I actually done a quick wire-up direct from the junction box , as an experiment , which gave me the exact speeds.

Obviously , if it is on the exchange side, I guess there is nothing I can do about that, or is there ?

Do you think it might be worth having a go at those rusty looking " pair " clean them up a little, and see if it goes?

Thanks

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Since it's copper, it's not going to be rust
      My suggestion is that if you're going to fiddle with the incoming pair, you do away with that diddly bit of white cable and connect the main incoming cables directly to the back of the test socket.

Thanks

Red face Re: BT Juntion Box Wiring problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Teloth View Post
      Hello

Thank you for your response.

I am around 3.5km from my exchange, this is reflected in my 51db attenuation , which is in line with that.

The question is , why is it that I can only manage to get a figure of 4000k connection , whereas, there are at least 10 posts on this forum from various people with same 51db attenuation or even higher , managing 6000k-7000k connection speeds. I understand, from reading this forum , is purely down to the line noise , somewhere .

I think I eliminated the possibility that the noise is to do with internal wiring , as I actually done a quick wire-up direct from the junction box , as an experiment , which gave me the exact speeds.

Obviously , if it is on the exchange side, I guess there is nothing I can do about that, or is there ?

Do you think it might be worth having a go at those rusty looking " pair " clean them up a little, and see if it goes?

Thanks

Hi again,
      have you tried calling BT and using the automated line checker for faults?
      Also, thanks to the response about copper not rusting! Quite right, they may however, be so old they are ceasing to connect correctly. You could try cleaning them, however a point worth mentioning tho', be careful you dont do something to cause you to have to call BT out, if the engineer susses you have been messing about, the charges for him coming out when it is not BTs fault are horrendous!
      Hope you get it sorted soon.
      Kipper.

Thanks

Hi again!
      Just one other point I have thought of, it could be possible your LAN is just simply busier than others, in which case bandwidth will be spread to all online users so simply giving you less speed! (I think that is right.)
      Kipper
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 09-05-07 at 02:32 PM.