Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

FTP server and dns. Please help :)

This is a discussion on FTP server and dns. Please help :) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I'm somewhat new to this so please have patience. I have had Sky broadband since Dec 2006. It ...

madcow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

FTP server and dns. Please help :)

Hi All,

I'm somewhat new to this so please have patience.

I have had Sky broadband since Dec 2006. It was a bit bumpy at the beginning but all is fine now.

I have 2 computers with the ip address 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3.
      On one i have installed an FTp server (192.168.0.3)

Internally i can get onto the ftp server from 192.168.0.2 but not externally.

UltraVNC which i use from work i can access on both pc's without problem using portforwarding.

I have used the internet browser from both pc's, also an FTP client on both but to no avail. I have switched on the UPnP on the router (although some here on the forum think it's a sin ) and the ports are apparently forwarded. I even asked a friend to try and access the FTp Server from his pc, but to no avail.

Does anyone have ANY idea as the helpdesk at sky knows less than i do and netgear say that they do not support this router as it does not have standard software.

I have looked at the forum here and found some nice tutorials and threads which i have been through, step by step.

Thx in advance

ALL THAT WE KNOW IS THAT WE DON'T KNOW..............

2. Advertisement
      MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: FTP server and dns. Please help :)

Is your FTP server setup for passive FTP? If it is then you will need to remmber to forward the port range you have passive FTP using as well as just port 21.

Also, (and it doesn't sound as if you're doing this) remember that you can't (or I don't believe you can) access a forwarded service internally. E.g. from 192.168.0.2 try to ftp to 90.198.xx.xx (your router's WAN IP) which port forwards to 192.168.0.3.

The only other think I can think of is if there is some kind of FTP server setup on the router itself. I don't think this is in the Sky firmware though.

madcow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am using Dyndns. So when i put into the browser www.*****.ath.cx i can get onto the router itself by typing in username and password. If i use the FTP.****.ath.cx it just comes up that it could not connect. I have used the server in Passive mode and non-passive mode. I thought it might be firewalls and antivirus so i installed a clean XP without everything. The server has also UPNP and has forwarded not only 21 but also 2 others, so i don't think that is the problem. There is no ftp server setup in the router, but there is dyndns. i used that and also the updater provided by dyndns. I can ping the router under it's external ip from work computer so i know it is getting to the router. Because i can connect internally i know the server is listening at port 21 and working. It just seems the router firewall is not working.

I wonder if it is something to do with XP 64??

Any ideas??

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hmm, perhaps you could try changing the port you use for FTP just to check the router isn't blocking it for some reason (or running a service on it already).
      I'd try directing port 2121 on the WAN IP to port 21 of the LAN IP on the FTP machine, then try FTPing to port 2121 externally.