Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I need my broadband working, otherwise I'm leaving!

This is a discussion on I need my broadband working, otherwise I'm leaving! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; <RANT START> Oh where to start... I've been using Sky TV for the past 5 years now, I'm one of ...

olanrewaju is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newbury
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry I need my broadband working, otherwise I'm leaving!

<RANT START>
      Oh where to start...

I've been using Sky TV for the past 5 years now, I'm one of the few that have taken Sky HD, and until March was using UK Online (happily) .

I saw that Sky broadband was a third of the price I Was paying UK Online, and as they were both Easynet, thought the transition would be smooth, so I asked UK Online for a MAC, ordered Sky broadband and Sky talk - bringing my total Sky package to over 60/month (you would think that would be enough to rank me as an important customer..)

I got my activation date of 4/4, but install date of 12/4. So engineer arrived, I told him not to bother as I knew what I was doing, and essentially swapped my current router (which had been working for years) with my new Sky router in the same location. Everything seemed to work, so I thought, "fantastic! well done sky!"

I called UK Online to inform them that I cancel, but a few hours after that, my internet stopped working.

Rang up Sky broadband who told me that actually, my line had not been activated, but it would happen on Monday 16/4, which then changed to Wed 18/4. I rang on Friday 20/4 to be told I had to wait for 3 working days before everything would work.

So roll on Tuesday 24/4 still no internet. Went to the standard rigmarole with Tier 1, finally got someone in Tier 3 on 25/4 who, after about 1 hour realised "there was a fault with the test equipment connected to my card in my exchange". She told me she has informed BT, who will check it out and fix it within days, as they check these things daily.

Ring up again Friday 27/4, get told no update from BT, but I will get a callback.

I wait until Monday 30/4, call to get through to Tier 3 (which is hard, as the Tier 1 guys, without even bothering to read the notes, want to diagnose the problem from scratch!!!), say still no update.

I wait 2 days to Wednesday 2/5, to find out from the Tier 3 guy that he "can't find the BT reference number so cannot chase BT", so he says he has to raise the issue AGAIN with BT, wasting a whole week.

I get frustrated, ring back and request my MAC code (which is apparently being sent to me via post)

Remember that I have been without internet all this time!

So to today, I'm at the end of my tether, and waiting for one of 2 things to happen. Either the internet connection gets fixed, or I leave once I get a MAC code (whichever comes first). And when I say leave, I mean transfer my whole TV/phone/broadband package to Virgin Media.

To sum up, I need someone to help me get to the root of this problem quick. I don't want to leave Sky, as I've been a very loyal customer for years, but from my experience this past month, I don't see as I have a choice.

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

<RANT END>

2. Advertisement
      chris52 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: East Herrington
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: I need my broadband working, otherwise I'm leaving!

You do know that Sky don't give a MAC code don't you? You have to terminate your connection with them. Wait for them to clear your line then apply to a new ISP. At least that's my understanding from previous threads.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

All ISPs have to give out MAC codes now:

BBC NEWS | Technology | Broadband switching set to ease

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

i have a friend who recently signed to virgin media and has had nothing but problems with billing sending out high bills and not backing down when he complains

i have had trouble with sky broadband the first few weeks when i first signed up no router came etc etc

but everything is getting stable now i say hang in there

ps virgin media tv dont bother you might as well get a freeview box

pps alan is right its now illegal not to send out a MAC code if you request one

Draig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sly anymore
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris52 View Post
      You do know that Sky don't give a MAC code don't you? You have to terminate your connection with them. Wait for them to clear your line then apply to a new ISP. At least that's my understanding from previous threads.

I received my mac code by post on Tuesday. I will be with Newnet on about May the 10th.

GedNE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@ olanrewaju - dropped ya a PM with some advice which may help you!

SkyTechSupport is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by olanrewaju View Post
      <RANT START>
      Oh where to start...

I've been using Sky TV for the past 5 years now, I'm one of the few that have taken Sky HD, and until March was using UK Online (happily) .

I saw that Sky broadband was a third of the price I Was paying UK Online, and as they were both Easynet...
      .... Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

<RANT END>
      Tier 3 were logging a fault to BT using the system we have for them, which as far as I know is just a website, the fault reference is how to check on BT's progress in this website, I have to put people through to Tier 2 for that all the time and I'm pretty sure they can check on the same faults as Tier 3 create, so might be worth trying Tier 2 for a quicker answer, but they'll not want to take the call as they'll say it's a Tier 3 ticket which isn't their problem, which is fair but if you can find a Tier 1 who's foxy enough they can possibly blag your way in.

As for troubleshooting, don't ever EVER let a Tier 1 troubleshoot you after already being troubleshooted, you tell them to either do their job or you'll hang up and try again, and then follow through with that, as soon as they ask "Are you calling from home?" you just slam that puppy down!

Tier 3 are very competent, probably the best trained and nicest people you'll find when you phone Sky (ironic then that they're actually hired by Easynet), if you explain to one of them the severity of the situation but remain calm and polite he/she should be swayed towards investigating it that one step further that can sometimes make the difference. Not that you're not a nice person of course! I just know how understandably frustrated situations like this make people, it's difficult to keep your cool sometimes, but when you hit that CSR that sounds like they know what they're doing, you've struck gold, so use it.

Hope somewhere in this rough above you might find a diamond, any more questions feel free to PM me I don't have a limit on giving out internal info, I just can't do anything for you in work unfortunately, good luck.
      Is it wrong to work for the devil? Not if you can make a difference... and he pays well.