Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Router drops out all the time

This is a discussion on Router drops out all the time within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Since getting sky broadband a couple of weeks ago i've had constant drop outs in my broadband, the router keeps ...

scoopy2scoops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Farnworth
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router drops out all the time

Since getting sky broadband a couple of weeks ago i've had constant drop outs in my broadband, the router keeps on rebooting, sometimes every 5 minutes or so, sometimes less often. I raised a ticket with tier 3 support and they limited my broadband to 2mb to try and lessen the errors i 've been getting on my line, but it hasn't worked. I just can't understand it i was on ukonline 2mb downstream 256 upstream and i got 1.7mb no problem. Ukonline use the same equipment as Sky do don't they (easynet), and it the same line. The only thing that has changed is the router.

Any ideas?

I've already tried turning off upnp and my router is plugged into the master socket with no extension cable. I've tried swapping microfilters.

2. Advertisement
      XPUser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Barnabas (EMSTBBS)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Router drops out all the time

Is your router plugged into the master socket, or are you plugged into an extension socket?

If you are plugged into an extension socket, I would plug your router into the master scket, and see if that helps. If it does then you know its a problem with your wiring from your master socket to the extension socket. If it does not help, you could open up extension socket and remove the orange (if standard wiring used) bell wire socket. This may help.

For info on removing the bell wire, read this thread.

Telephone extension socket drops connection

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My router is plugged into the master socket, no extension.

Do you think it would be wise to get the adsl username and password from my old netgear router (same model as the SKY one) and try using that instead

XPUser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Barnabas (EMSTBBS)
      Thanks

It is an option. Although I would probably wait for tier 3 to get back to you. When I first reported my problem, they did send me out a new router. If Tier 3 have already contacted you, you can ring back and say what they did hasnt helped much. If you actually "suggest" to them its the router, they will hopefully send you out a new one.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

it seems like it is the router, i've swapped it out with my old one (non sky) and it seems fine.

I'm know this is against contract but realistically can i just continue now on with my old router.

Has anyone who's done this had any come back from SKY

I'm not even bothered about a router swap, i just want a working internet connection, the new SKY router is of no benefit to me.

Kevj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0117
      Thanks

I had the same problem, the sky router had to be rebooted all the time. So I swapped it for my old voyager 2110 more than a month ago now it`s been on all the time and no connection problems.
      I didn`t call sky as I didn`t want to be capped as I have a solid 14meg connection with downloads around 12meg.

Saiyan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Luton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Talking Re: Router drops out all the time

Hi,

I was also suffering from the same problem ! - my connection would drop, reconnect, drop, reconnect, etc.

After weeks of waiting, tier 3 said it was most probably the router and so sent me another one.

However, that didn't fix anything, so they tried capping me at 12mb, 8mb, 2mb and then 512kb but nothing happened.

After a couple of more weeks they told me they fixed the line, but the connection was still dropping after every 2minutes. I decided to keep contacting their technical support who kept promising me tier 3 would ring me back, but they never did (I guess they got sick & tired of me )

SO after a few more weeks of waiting, I decided to bring out my old ADSL router (this modem only supports up to 6mb), I then extracted the password and username from the netgear router (using guides on this forum) and then I connected to the internet with my old ADSL router.

At first, the old router would drop the connection seven times on start up...
      but after that the old ADSL router sustained a REALLY good connection (even though if you have a look at its statistics you see alot of CRC errors on the line...) but the connection no longer drops after every 2 minutes and has a really reliable connection.

stecornes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had a simiilar problem where the router dropped the connection after about 15 mins.

Sky sent me a new router after slowing my speed to 4.6mb but still the same problems.

On this forum someone suggested unchecking uPNP on the router and this appears to have sorted out the problems and the router hasnt lost connection once since.

If you havent already done this I would suggest this as an easy potential fix.

greenwich is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In the same boat here. Sky router kept rebooting every few minutes. Switched to my own Linksys router a month or so ago and the connection has been solid since then.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I should say to Sky? I want them to send me a new router but I don't want to admit to them that I'm breaking their T&Cs.

newskyBOd Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

put your sky router back on and tell them it keeps reebooting they will probably go through the script with you and then admit defeat and send you a new one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast