Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help Needed with 'natstat' command

This is a discussion on Help Needed with 'natstat' command within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have taken a new sky broadband connection. Since first day it has been pathetically slow worse then even ...

namsky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help Needed with 'natstat' command

Hi,

I have taken a new sky broadband connection. Since first day it has been pathetically slow worse then even a dial up connection. The download speed which I am getting is 2 kpbs. I called up sky customer support. They asked me to do n number of things including resetting of the router. She then asked me to run 'natstat' command on the command prompt of my laptop and asked me how many lines I see in the output. I told her that it is showing 16 active connections. She then said that it is a problem with your laptop. She can only help if the number of active connections shown on 'netstat' command can come down below 10 otherwise there is nothing that sky customer support can do.
      Can you guys out there please help me.I am 100% sure that there is no problem with my laptop and it is not infected with any virus or spyware.

Please help

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Help Needed with 'natstat' command

That's just dumb/ignorant advice I'm afraid.

There are many legitimate reasons why you may have more than 10 active connections - a tabbed browser session for example.

Try this test: close any browser you have open, P2P, mail programmes etc then wait 5 minutes. Then run netstat. Count how many ESTABLISHED connections you have.

If you now have anything like 16 connections then you may indeed have problems.

The person you spoke to probably has no understanding of what the netstat command does and the need to close down any software legitimately using a connection before coming to any conclusion.