Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Activation Day passes...

This is a discussion on Activation Day passes... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well I thought I was in for a bumpy ride too! activation date was 7th Sept which came and went ...

kayla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well I thought I was in for a bumpy ride too! activation date was 7th Sept which came and went as did the 8th and the 9th. Rang sky who said it was "on provision" was told to expect a drop in connection for up to 2 hours so when on the morning of the 9th i noticed my connection had dropped i thought finally I was going to get my sky bb. Oh how wrong i was - strangely my phone line was off completely! after finally getting throught to BT on my mobile (god knows how much that cost) they told me there was an underground line fault which would take until the 20th Sept to repair, (me thinks sabotage but hey what do i know i'm just a mere customer). Anyway woke up this morning phone line working plugged sky box in and hey presto - connected no probs....

2. Advertisement
      Huffalot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy My day passed too

Did post yesterday but have now registered...

Was supposed to be activated yesterday, engineer called at 8.30 to say he would be there by 9am. Great he arrived at 8.50 and all was setup within ten mins........

However no line activation, I also noticed after the engineer left that I had a missed call on the answer phone - it was from Sky customer services letting me know there was a problem with my activation and could I call them (WOW reading the posts here looks like I am very lucky to get a heads up from Sky before I called them).

Well managed to get through to CS (on the number found here not the main number) and have been told that they have no idea when Iíll be activated! I've been told I'll get a letter with a new date but I guess I'll be box-watching for a few weeks!

The only good/bad news is that I have not yet canned my NTL cable account, so I still have 10MB even though it's costing me an arm and a leg each month (plus the phone line they make you take). Can't wait to get rid of it, come on Sky sort me out, I've got a bunch of friends I play online with that are watching my experience as they want to leave NTL too.

One quick question though - I have a BT line but my wife changed our phone account to TalkTalk, should this effect my BB activation? Do I need to change back to BT?

kayla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Huffalot i was wondering this too - found this

Talk Talk and Sky by Broadband

Sky offers movies and sport content to subscribers with a service they call Sky by Broadband (clever name). The downloaded content is DRMed and you can only keep it for 28 days but itís good quality. The interesting thing is it uses a private peer-to-peer to distribute it.

Itís a smart move by Sky since it saves them lots of bandwidth. I was worried about whether TalkTalk would limit Sky by Broadband. It all depends on their reasons. If they truly have bandwidth problems then they should since itís quite a large consistent bandwidth hog (since even after downloading it can continue uploading). If they actually just want to limit illegal behaviour with P2P file sharing then theyíll leave it alone since itís legit.

Well yesterday I left my computer on all day (I wanted to try Orb from work). I didnít realise that closing the Sky program didnít actually stop it downloading. When I came home all the movies had downloaded (my bandwidth usage was up to 5 gigabytes for the day). Not only that but my download speed had stayed consistently at about 250 kb/s. Since my router is reporting my connection as 2.2Mbits/s thatís almost full speed. In the middle of the day.

So it seems TalkTalk donít (yet) limit Sky by Broadband traffic. Of course it would be easy to reach their 40GB a month limit doing that every dayÖ

Hope it helps

Hornet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eastbourne, SDESTBR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Billion Bipac 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      I was told last night by Sky that bt connect you anytime between 8am - Midnight and as yet nothing does anyone know if this is true because I am getting sick and tired of the dates I am being told I would be connected.

fly4fun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well, I'm still waiting. 10 days past my original date. My BT Tracker still says the 20th, but I'm worried after reading that people are being told dates in October.

I don't know if its worth ringing Sky until the 20th. If it hasn't connected by then, I have 5 days before my Pipex line is due to cancelled. I think.

While there are people here saying it's BT's fault, I think Sky should of learned from other companies rollouts and not placed as many orders with BT as they did. If I knew my line wasn't going to be active till the 20th instead of the 7th then I wouldn't be so dissappointed.

Rant over. Roll on the 20th and lets see if I get to go live or not.

fly4fun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Oh my gosh! My BT order tracker has changed to complete!!!

I wonder if it will all work when I get home though!! 4 hours to go till I find out!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678