Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Noise margin decreasing

This is a discussion on Noise margin decreasing within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Since I got sky max about a week and a half ago the router has been consistently connecting at 8mb ...

kingdavies is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Noise margin decreasing

Since I got sky max about a week and a half ago the router has been consistently connecting at 8mb with a noise margin of 10db and the connection is stable. Then last night over a time period of about an hour the noise margin dropped to 6db and the connection became unstable. I had to reset the router and it reconnected at 7mb with a noise margin of 7.4db which was stable. Now this morning still connected at 7mb the connection has become unstable again with a noise margin of 6db. If I reset the router again it will probably drop the speed even lower. Why all in less than 12 hours has the noise margin dropped so badly when I havenít changed a thing? Is there anyway I can fix this?

Thanks
      Kingdavies

2. Advertisement
      phoe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stoneycroft
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Noise margin decreasing

Mine also varies quite a lot (from ~9.5dB as low as 4.1dB) - but if you connect when it's at its' lowest, and sync at a slower speed, you lose a little on throughput, but gain on the stability front.

I think it's just variance dependant on the current network usage :-}

Egg Shaped Fred is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've had the same problem but now it's fixed. (Touch Wood)

I did all the line check BS, got BT round tried different sockets, was told to RTF Forum etc etc

In the end I basically asked Tier 3 support to drop the speed of my line from 15mb to 10mb. (Speak to Tier 1, explain the problem and tell them Tier 3 can fix it).

My noise margin went from an at best 10.5dB to now reading 16.2dB. This has obviously given a greater margin for when sticky time arrives in the evening. The amount of errors on the line has reduced dramatically too.

The only side effect was my download speed going from a max of 10mb to 8.7mb. For the stability, it's more than a price worth paying.

Don't give up just yet, I was so close to sacking sky off.
      Last edited by Egg Shaped Fred; 29-04-07 at 09:45 PM.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Telephone extension wiring can be a source of issues, the way to find out is plug the router into the test socket behind the place plate of your BT master socket. Search the forum for "telephone wiring" and "noise margins" theres lots of tips on here, I would only ask Sky to cap your speed as a last resort because if you eventually find the fault is elsewhere you will have a nightmare getting them to put it back again.
      You can fix your own noise margin using this Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 it can be removed by reseting the router, but again it is worth trying to find the source of the problem first, you can also use that util to obtain your detailed router stats, post them on this site and someone will tell you if there is any obvious problems.