Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speeds double from master socket

This is a discussion on Speeds double from master socket within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm 800m from my exchange as was getting between 6-7Mb down (full 768 up) Attenuation down was 31 and SNR ...

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Speeds double from master socket

I'm 800m from my exchange as was getting between 6-7Mb down (full 768 up)
      Attenuation down was 31 and SNR was around 5-7db

Was having a few dropouts - not many, but enough to be a little irritating. I assumed thate these were due to low SNR.

The phone cabling in my house is a bit of a mess so plugged router directly into master socket. Low and behold, speeds jumped to 14-15Mb down!!!!!!!!!!!!! att dropped slighly to 29.7 but SNR is still around 5-7db.

Have yet to see if how the line handles but i am a little worried that my SNR is still a bit low and I may experience some line drop-outs.

Am i correct in assuming that if i ask sky to cap my line back, say to 12Mb, will this help my SNR and reduce drop-outs?

2. Advertisement
      Annie UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWFEL
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link Archer C7
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Does anyone know if having the gain turned up/down will make any difference to ADSL speeds. I know this makes a difference with dial-up modems.

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Nope it won't. You can ask level 3 to cap your line, but each time the router retrains due to too much noise (indicated by the i flashing yellow a few times) the DSLAM will remember that.

Things settle down over the first few days, so see if it settles down.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      As I understand it, having read up a little, when your line is capped for stability on ADSL2+ they lower the target SNR to a higher level so the negotiation between modem and router syncs at a higher level.

ADSL2+ goes through the negotiation by getting the highst sync and has a SNR level to agree synce at I think it is between 10 and 7