Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

after a little advice :)

This is a discussion on after a little advice :) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As the title says, im after a little bit of advice from some of the more technical minded people on ...

jcbdigger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hatfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:

after a little advice :)

As the title says, im after a little bit of advice from some of the more technical minded people on this board

Ive finally got my sky broadband up and running this week (it was meant to be activated on the 23rd of january ) and because of all the problems tier 3 set my line speed to 128k.

I got them to check this and increase it at the start of the week, but i was told that because my downstream line attenuation was over 60db i would only be able to recieve 4 meg downloads as this indicated i was almost 3km from the exchange.

This struck me as odd as the exchange is less than a mile, but knowing that straight line distance has no bearing on phone cabling i let it slide.

On the first day of this speed my connection was terrible. it dropped every 4-5 minutes and i couldnt really do anything. i logged a call to sky but was fobbed off with the 5 day response line and went to bed.

The next day however it was a completly different experience, my connection is a solid 3776kbps and my attenuation is at 15.5db. also the connection has been up for 48 hours straight with no disconnects as of today

so the question i have is, do i pester sky to recheck my line speed and see if i can get more download speed, or count myself lucky and live with the stable 4 meg?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Advertisement
      jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!

Re: after a little advice :)

it's possible that the reading of 15.5 is a known bug - elsewhere on the forums it's recommeded to reset the router (using a pin) - but I am no expert, and if it ain't broke at 3776.......