Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tiscali Marker

This is a discussion on Tiscali Marker within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, I left Tiscali mid-Feb this year and got my MAC code off them to move to Sky - ...

Grizzly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tiscali Marker

Hello all,

I left Tiscali mid-Feb this year and got my MAC code off them to move to Sky - which went fine or so I thought!

Turns out they hadn't actually stopped my BB service and I had to phone up to get this cancelled. I then got a letter in saying that their "marker" would be removed from the line in 10-15 days (this was last Weds 18th or Thurs 19th Apr I got the letter)...

My question is: Could this Tiscali "marker" on my line cause me to lose approx 4mb of my potential download speed? I should be getting 6.5mb from Sky, but only currently getting 1.7mb!

I'm on the Mid package & have an ongoing ticketed problem with Sky Tier3 since Feb re: Only getting 1.7mb download speeds on a line that I should be getting 6.5mb (according to Sky). Anyway, T3 reckons it's a crossed line at the exchange and has been dragging on for about 3 months (a various emails & phonecalls hounding them)waiting on them fixing it.

Hope someone can advice!

Thanks in advance.
      Last edited by Grizzly; 27-04-07 at 11:27 AM.

2. Advertisement
      belalmiah is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wanstead
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: X3 Sky+HD Box
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Tiscali Marker

Hi,

It dont make any sense!

Tiscali cant have a marker on your line while you getting broadband from sky.

T3 are rubbish most of the time and say crap to get you off the phone. Only the helpful agent can sort this out hopefully.

My advice would be to call BT wholesale on: 0800 169 9576 and find out whats going on, They will tell you the correct information.

Hope that helps.

Oneiros is offline Sky User Member
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Tiscali Marker

As previously stated the tiscali marker is gone if you are receiving sky broadband.

As for the rest of your issue...

If it is crossed wires then your issue is with SNS and cant be resolved by tech support, Tier 3 or otherwise, it will need engineers in the exchange to get the cabling uncrossed, it's a big project being worked on at present, it's going to take a while to complete but it is being worked on.

The only problem I have is that I believe the crossed wires issue at ESFAL (the exchange reported in your profile) was fixed a while ago. It is possible that they werent aware of that issue with your line at the time and it has been missed, or it could be a misdiagnosis that no one has bothered to recheck when you have phoned in.

Tier 3 should in theory be able to find your connection despite the crossed wires if you have a user session and configure your line appropriately, however you would have to explain it to them carefully. Tell them you apparently have a crossed wires issue but you have a user session, and ask them to search for your connection via IP or MAC and then configure the line from there.

Hope this helps.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

[QUOTE=belalmiah;68566]Hi,
      T3 are rubbish most of the time and say crap to get you off the phone. Only the helpful agent can sort this out hopefully.
      QUOTE]

which part of tier 3 are rubbish? if u mean speed and config there's nothing we can to sort out a marker other than get provisioning to remove it - hence us being speed and config!!

Thanks

and crosswires can only be found if there is an active PPP session otherwise we can't search for MAC (as this is only visible when you have PPP) so we have to get it to FM.....if ur lucky enuff to have PPP but aren't on the right port then yes it can be sorted

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      and crosswires can only be found if there is an active PPP session
      You can check the logs whist the customer turns the box on and off or search for the ATM session with a matching speed the customer has listed in the router status page. Though I must point out that the number of cross-wire issues is few and far between nowadays. If the tone passes then it ain't crossed.
      Last edited by MrStabby; 29-04-07 at 07:47 PM.

Oneiros is offline Sky User Member
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The logs will only work if the customer is actually getting an ATM session, many users with crossed wires don't even get that. Even then you would only be able to find them if there was not a lot of up and down activity on their DSLAM and of course you would have to be searching the correct DSLAM, sometimes crossedwires will put a customer on a different DSLAM.

However the basis of what you say is indeed correct, if they have an ATM session and you are looking at the correct DSLAM then you should be able to find a customer with crossedwires.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The logs will report line up and down, so as long as the customer's internet light is coming on then you will be able to find them in one of the dslams as a Line x UP.
      If you can't then it's not a crosswire issue, it's a 'not connected to Sky fekin dslam' issue.
      'Line x UP' messages are logged before an ATM session is established.
      There's never that much UP/DOWN activity and even so, you just tone test the most likely candidates.

Grizzly is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hello all,

Sorry it's been a while since I updated this post! The problem above still exists unfortunately... Currently waiting on another "priority" call back from Tier 3 about the near 4 month old ticket I have. Willing to bet my house no-one calls me back, as per norm....

One thing I forgot to mention above is that when the person from Tier 3 discovered that I may have a crossed connection (in March by the way!), she tried to reset my Router remotely and wasn't able to do so. I'm assuming from that she wasn't able to ping me at all, so what could that mean?

Thanks again in advance,
      - Stu

Thanks

firstly, prority call backs don't exist - so you've been fobbed off there....

secondly, chances are ur ticket will be closed...

thirdly, I'd get your old Tiscali modem out and connect it and if that's has connection then you know for sure that your service is back with them and we'd then need to cease & reprovide (which goes through SRT)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast