Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky broadband without skybox installed ?

This is a discussion on Sky broadband without skybox installed ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I had ordered skybox and sky broadband max. I received sky broadband kit about a week ago. But I ...

lifofifo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky broadband without skybox installed ?

Hi,

I had ordered skybox and sky broadband max. I received sky broadband kit about a week ago. But I couldn't get skybox installed as I was away when they had come to install it.

Then I got a letter from sky saying that the broadband should be active by 23rd and allowing 3 days more.

So my question is, will my sky broadband start working even before the sky box is installed ?

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband without skybox installed ?

Yes, your line will be enabled regardless of whether a Broadband Box is connected to the phone line or not.
      What you won't be able to do is use it till the box is plugged in and turned on (apologies if that's stating the obvious).

lifofifo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I guess you didn't get what I meant.

When I say skybox - I mean the skytv dish and the sky+ box.

I've already connected sky netgear router and set it up. But the "i" light on my router hasnt turned solid green yet.

So the question is, will it turn solid green before I get skytv installed ?

sambo1406 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wokingham
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My sky broadband went active before my sky tv box was enabled. So i'm guessing your line isn't fully enabled yet.

Nebiroth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It may or may not, however, Sky Broadband is not dependent on the Sky dish or Sky box, it is completely separate from it.

You only need them because to get Sky Broadband you must be a Sky TV subscriber. It's to do with subscriptions, not the hardware as the Broadband box and Sky box are totally independent of each other.

Hence there is nothing to prevent your Broadband from going live before your Sky TV box/dish are installed. It all depends whether the necessary bits get done at the telephone exchange before or after the folks come to install your disc etc.

AFAIK anyway!

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth View Post
      It may or may not, however, Sky Broadband is not dependent on the Sky dish or Sky box, it is completely separate from it.

You only need them because to get Sky Broadband you must be a Sky TV subscriber. It's to do with subscriptions, not the hardware as the Broadband box and Sky box are totally independent of each other.

Hence there is nothing to prevent your Broadband from going live before your Sky TV box/dish are installed. It all depends whether the necessary bits get done at the telephone exchange before or after the folks come to install your disc etc.

AFAIK anyway!
      very True

sc0tsman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: livingston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In theory SKY BB can only be active on an ACTIVE SKY TV account in some cases [like yours] if the TV account is not active it automaticly cancels down the BB account on activation date and that can lead to serious doo-doo.

Nebiroth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sc0tsman View Post
      In theory SKY BB can only be active on an ACTIVE SKY TV account in some cases [like yours] if the TV account is not active it automaticly cancels down the BB account on activation date and that can lead to serious doo-doo.
      I think "active" in this context means "paying a subscription" - rather than having an operating dish/digibox.

For example, for about a year, I had a Sky account, but it wasn't active, because I didn't subscribe to anything.

AFAIK, Sky don't know if your Sky box is on or not - at least, they won't if you're out of the mandatory period where it must be connected to the phone line and you've unplugged it

And it would be most unfortunate if you were to go away for a couple of weeks holiday, dutifuly powered everything off and came back to find they'd axed your broadband

Sky are just like any other company - what they're interested in is the paying bit, not whether you're actually using it. There's really no disadvantage to them if you;re paying subs and then not watching...although their advertisers might disagree.