Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A bit of a puzzle - Help needed!

This is a discussion on A bit of a puzzle - Help needed! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been having the same problem, although sometimes i cannot log into the router and only a reboot of ...

brucemac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Shields
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I have been having the same problem, although sometimes i cannot log into the router and only a reboot of the router will help resolve the problem.

I have had my speed reduced from 14 to 12 and now to 10. Although has been stable this morning will check when i get back tonight.

2. Advertisement
      GPKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesbury
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If my experiences this week are anything to go by you will probably see varying levels of stability.

On Wednesday I had a very stable connection and was able to use it uninterrupted for over 2 hours.
      Last night was the worst so far, at one stage it was dropping every few minutes. The rooter took a couple of minutes to get an IP address each time I rebooted it. Once I rebooted, managed to load Google and then it dropped imediately.

Point being, just because you may be able to use your connection without any problems one night, dont assume that everything is fixed. I reckon a period of at least 1 week without problems will be required for me to say that my issues have been resolved.

brucemac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Shields
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Keep speaking to tier 3 at sky to get them to have a look at my line for errors. I am going to take out my extension and run just from the box and the test socket and then on a new cable to make sure that it is not something on my extension line.

Seems a bit strange to me, have no av running.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The thing that baffles me is that my sync is consistently stable, and my internet is consisitently slow, but at the same time a torretn download will max out the connection!

Unregistered Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Quote Originally Posted by hugsie View Post
      OK guys, here is the deal....

I was connected to sky bb last week. All was fine.

I came home from work yesterday, and my internet was a bit slow. I ran a couple of speed tests speed test.net and I was getting dial uo type results. I looked at my modem stats and they were fine!

I did a reboot and my connection remained fine syncing in the hugh 6000- low 7000kbs

Internet is really laggy especially on sites with graphics on.

I rang sky technical support and they took me through the basic tests and ran a line test, they said that everything is fine at their end, and advised me to run my AV and spyware shecks to see if that helped.

I hooked up my still live cable connection, to see if it was my sky, and that will not connect at all! I have switched between them previously with no problems. My cable modem appears to still be connected all the right lights are flashing but nothing.

The other thing, I ran my bit torrent client on a fast torrent, and it downloaded at 6megs no problem.

Oh my current stats are

Connection Speed 6804 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.5 db 26.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 12.7 db

I have run a system restore and no change.

I am really confused Does anyone have any suggestions?
      How do you check your Line Attenuation and noise margin,thanks.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

go to http://192.168.0.1/

and press show stats. This is for the sky router.

You know my really odd problem...

It's gone.... I came home today and noticed my SNT was quite high so I rebooted to get a faster sync and ran a peed test and I am back at 6 megs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12