Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line attenuation, trying to get BT intersted

This is a discussion on Line attenuation, trying to get BT intersted within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey guys, My downstream line attenuation is 63.5dB, which is obviously terrible. My distance from exchange is 3.5km (as the ...

slyadams is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Line attenuation, trying to get BT intersted

Hey guys,

My downstream line attenuation is 63.5dB, which is obviously terrible. My distance from exchange is 3.5km (as the crow flies obviously) so I should expect lower than this. A guy who lives one road over from me has attenuation of 44dB, which is much more reasonable.

Sky originally said I had to talk to BT to get the phone line tested. They tested and said it was fine (i.e. can make phone calls etc). I'm trying to get BT interested, but they say I have to now go back to Sky to get them to raise a ticket with BT wholesale. I'm currently on the phone to Sky but its like banging your head against a brick wall because every time I try to talk to them they try to take me through "basic trouble shooting" again!

Any advice?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Line attenuation, trying to get BT intersted

Except in extreme circumstances where the line is heavily corroded or compromised in some other way, attenuation is a pretty reasonable measure of line length. Were your line heavily corroded I'd expect you to have considerable problems with voice calls let alone ADSL.

Your friend nearby has a lower attenuation. It could be that his line takes a more direct route to the exchange but more likely is that he has a different router and is on a different ADSL mode to you e.g. Connect or an equivalent.

If you have a problem on your line which affects voice calls then it should be easy to get BT to sort it - they won't be remotely interested in any ADSL problems you have. You may even be lucky enough to get a BT engineer to swap your line over to one with a shorter run (if available which is unlikely).

I hope you get a result but the more realistic outcome is that you're stuck with what you've got.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

We're one road away and the exhange is 3.5km away, how can his run be so much shorter?

GaryM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Didcot
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DGN1000
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Lines don't necessarily go the most direct route back to the exchange. Your line wires might go through some additional junction boxes via other roads (in the opposite direction from the exchange) than your friend's line does. I think it's just luck (or bad luck) of the draw.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm still struggling to see how likely this is. We live 50 yards apart and 3.5km away from the exxhange, but somehow my line travels and extra 2km?

sc0tsman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: livingston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slyadams View Post
      I'm still struggling to see how likely this is. We live 50 yards apart and 3.5km away from the exxhange, but somehow my line travels and extra 2km?
      I performed 2 line checks on one property my friend and there estimated speeds varied by 10meg on different lines. Upon further investigation his 2 lines came from different exchanges hence the massive difference.

By the way the older exchange was the faster of the 2

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

According to availability checker, we're on the same exchange.

This is so frustrating. I was a very serious CSS player until I bought this house and moved and now I can't really compete with the guys with 20ms pings when I have an 80ms ping.