Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dumb Question - BT Line?

This is a discussion on Dumb Question - BT Line? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This is a really dumb question, and I think I already know the answer, but... I pay line rental and ...

Nebiroth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dumb Question - BT Line?

This is a really dumb question, and I think I already know the answer, but...

I pay line rental and call charges to my local energy company, rather than BT - it's part of an electricity/gas/phone bundle for which I get a discount on all three.

Will this cause problems?

I'm assuming that when Sky talk about a "BT line" they mean "A line from the BT exchange" rather than "You have to be with BT". I was until recently paying line rental/call charges to BT on the line in question.

I'm assuming that a non-BT line is one that doesn't come from a BT exchange - for example, our NTL phone line use's NTL's own local cable network and therefore couldn't be used.

One other thing: I'm already registered with "MySky" (I wouldn't be if they'd told me they haven't enabled payment management on it yet!), will that cause problems?

It all seems to be connected with the Sky Portal, will they realise I'm already registred if/when I get Sky Broadband?

2. Advertisement
      MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Dumb Question - BT Line?

"BT Line" means "You must be paying BT for your line rental".
      In practise you can be being billed by The Post Office / Talk Talk etc... on a CPS service and signup for Sky BB, but as soon as you change that arrangement BT will clear down the line and you're screwed. This can be a sod to sort out.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh b......!

I didn't want to switch from BT in the first place! The line is in my Dad's name and some git persuaded him to change from BT without my knowing about it! And I bet we're on a 12-month contract or something obnoxious.

It would be nice if Sky actually said this, as it;s not at all uncommon for folks to rent their line from other providers. Including Sky!

So it looks like I'm screwed as far as Sky Broadband is concerned, then?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I looked and the T&C's say

the telephone line you use to access Sky Broadband must be a BT compatible fixed and operational line to your Address ("your Line").

It doesn't say you have to pay line rental to BT. Just a BT compatible line.

I always assumed that this meant that it had to be a line from BT's network (ie from a BT exchange) - this excluded exchanges and lines that are run by other companies. For example, the lines provided by Virgin Media use their own cable network rather than BT's, so you can't have Sky BB (or any except their own come to that).

The letter that came with the Southern Electric Talk package says that Broadband connections shouldn't be affected - and if you already have one then it should transfer.

I'll phone Sky, but I bet they won't have a clue!

Skygazing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scarborough MYSCA
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I thought that whoever you pay your line rental to, other than BT it is still a
      BT line. Any faults will be passed to BT as they maintain the line regardless.

Your phone provider rents the lines of BT and therefore BT maintain them.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That's what I thought. It is still a "BT line" in that it comes from a BT exchange. If it wasn't you wouldn;t be able to keep your phone number.

I think that they are just excluding other telephone networks - like those of Virgin Media - which are entirely separate from the BT network, and use their own wiring/exchanges etc.

Skygazing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scarborough MYSCA
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is from the Talk Talk website -

========================

As well as a single bill for your line rental and calls, when you sign up to TalkTalk you have just one company to deal with. But because BT continues to maintain our lines for us, if there's ever a fault it is still an experienced BT engineer who comes to fix the problem.

=======================

I pay my BT line rental direct to TT so from this I would assume I still have a
      "BT line".

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

I'd love to know the answer to this too, i've just signed my sister up to Sky BB, and she pays the Post Office for her line rental.

Although, the entire ordering process did go through without any issues (done online) and at no point did it kick out any error messages??

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I just signed up and I asked the person processing to check this. She said that by "BT line" they mean a landline that is connected to a BT exchange that is maintained by BT. She said that it was irrelevent as to who you pay call charges and line rental to - it is still a "BT operated line" and that is the important bit.

She said the only lines that excluded are those on separate networks, such as Telewest.

Anyway, just as well I did sign up, because there were only 41 slots left on my exchange. I could have had up to 8Mb/s but I went for the freebie which is more than enough for my uses. and it's free so if things go wrong, who cares? I'm not with any provided right now, this is dialup via NTL (no NTL digital or broadband here, we have old copper wires and analogue and no broadband via cable)

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth View Post
      I always assumed that this meant that it had to be a line from BT's network (ie from a BT exchange) - this excluded exchanges and lines that are run by other companies. For example, the lines provided by Virgin Media use their own cable network rather than BT's, so you can't have Sky BB (or any except their own come to that).
      That is my definition of a BT line as well because as you say NTL/Virgin are set up completely differently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast