Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dumb Question - BT Line?

This is a discussion on Dumb Question - BT Line? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK folks, here's the skinny. Sky BB can be provided on any line that runs from the BT exchange to ...

Oneiros is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Dumb Question - BT Line?

OK folks, here's the skinny. Sky BB can be provided on any line that runs from the BT exchange to your house. However if there are any problems and the line is rented by another provider, TalkTalk etc then should anything go wrong either during provisioning or after then Sky can't do anything about it.

Sky have a deal with BT for fault finding/fixing on lines rented from and operated by them. Sky does not have any kind of deal with other providers (at present) and so, for instance if there was a fault on your line and you pay your line rental to TalkTalk, Sky cannot log that fault to BT. TalkTalk in theory could but there is no deal or framework in place for Sky to log the fault to TalkTalk to log to BT.

So you can, physically, get Sky Broadband if you are with another phone service provider but you better hope nothing goes wrong.

Also as far as Sky is concerned, a BT compatible line means a line operated by BT, not just a line BT happened to lay in the ground (or over poles) a long time ago, so getting Sky Broadband on a non-BT line (ie a line for which no line rental is paid by the customer to BT) is in breach of the Ts and Cs.

Hope that clears things up.

2. Advertisement
      jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

so which is correct then?
      oneiros or the guy who just signed up and spoke to sky?

Nebiroth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
      Also as far as Sky is concerned, a BT compatible line means a line operated by BT, not just a line BT happened to lay in the ground (or over poles) a long time ago, so getting Sky Broadband on a non-BT line (ie a line for which no line rental is paid by the customer to BT) is in breach of the Ts and Cs.

Hope that clears things up.
      If you pay line rental etc to another provider, the line is still operated by BT.

I have checked this with Sky, BT and the folks I rent my line from.

The line remains "BT", it doesn't matter if you happen to pay the line rental and call charges via a third party.

Sky's T&C's do not say you have to be paying line rental to BT. They actually say, and I quote,

the telephone line you use to access Sky Broadband must be a BT compatible fixed and operational line to your Address ("your Line").

By this they mean a landline that is operated by BT.

If you get a fault on your phone line, it is still BT that deal with it - not the company you pay line rental to.

I agree, there's probably going to be more hassle if there's a problem because there's a third party involved.

I double-checked this with Sky before I started - they stated quite clearly that it doesn't matter whom you pay line rental to, the line remains a "BT line".

The ones that are excluded are those that have their own networks - for example TeleWest.

If it were otherwise, then Sky would include a check to see who you paid your line rental to, since it is quite common for people not to be with BT any longer.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK. I rang Sky about this again - just to be sure.

At first the woman said "Oh no, you need to pay your line rental to BT"

I sputtered and pulled faces, and told them that the woman that processed my order said that this wasn't necessary - just that it was a BT compatible line. I also pointed out that this is what their T&C's say - nothing about line rental.

She said they'd just had an advisory about this, but then called in the manager.

After a chat, it was decided that

1) You can get Sky BB on lines that are not rented from BT. The important thing is that it's a line from a BT exchange (not TeleWest or whatever)

2) My order had processed correctly and passed all their checks, and as far as they were concerned there was no problem

3) They thought the confusion arose because some people wanted their whole package from SAky, without realising that even if you take Sky Talk, you still pay line rental to BT. Unlike many, Sky don't do line rental, whereas many Call Providers do

They made a note in my file, cos I told them that if everything went wrong, it wasn't my fault, as I'd checked with them - twice!

I did point out that their T&C's should be clearer, in that if they meant "line rental must be paid to BT" it should say so! But it doesn't. They agreed with what I thought "BT compatible line" meant.

She did mention that a few providers won't let other companies provide broadband to their customers - apparently TalkTalk can be a problem.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The problem is, if you have a BT line and have Talk Talk on a CPS (carrier pre-select) service where BT voice equipment actually does all the dirtywork of making the voice calls work, This WILL work with Sky Broadband.
      However, what we (and I guess it applies to all ISPs) get a fair amount of is where a customer has this setup and Talk Talk on a CPS basis with Sky BB. Talk Talk then unbundle the entire exchange and 'upgrade' the customer to WLR (wholesale line rental) as it's more profitable. You can't have two LLU services on one line so Sky gets kicked off.

Thanks

good news all round then! - it looks like my sister's order is moving along nicely too!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I didn't write the contract and I said that Sky BB could be provided on a line rented from another supplier (yes provided it's on the BT network), all I know is that if you have any issue that requires someone to look at the line then if you are not paying line rental to BT then you're in trouble (at present).

If you dont believe me then please sign up whilst with another telephone provider and pray to whatever deity you believe in that it all goes through first time and that there are no later issues.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Indeed, but with respect, you also said that anyone not paying line rental to BT who signs up to Sky BB is in breach of Sky's T&C's, that is not the case.

Other than this then yes, I agree, having a theird pary involved undoubtedly complicates things enormously if things go wrong. However, as I have taken the base package at zero cost this doesn't bother me. I could keep on with my existing NTL diallup without having lost anything.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth View Post
      Indeed, but with respect, you also said that anyone not paying line rental to BT who signs up to Sky BB is in breach of Sky's T&C's, that is not the case.

Sky believe it is (the bigwigs anyway) and so they hand this info out to the drones. I don't speak perfect legalese but I know Sky has bigger lawyers than us, so who am I to argue?

Thanks

Whether they believe it is or not, if it doesn't say so in their T&Cs, they can't claim a breach.

If Sky has better lawyers, they'd have worded their T&Cs better to mean what they believe it to mean. 'Bt compatible, fixed and operational' does not infer that you must pay BT for line rental.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast