Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can you tell if you're capped?

This is a discussion on Can you tell if you're capped? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm on Sky Connect. No matter what I do to optimise my connection, I cannot break the 3mbps download barrier. ...

JaXanim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: A Galaxy near you
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can you tell if you're capped?

I'm on Sky Connect. No matter what I do to optimise my connection, I cannot break the 3mbps download barrier. My line attenuation is surprisingly variable between about 15db and 40db. Why?? The higher figure indicates a theoretical maximum connection speed of 8mbps or so. The actual value seems to be around 7mbps. The noise margin obviously varies, typically near 6db, but it can be quite good at around 13db. I've run the TCPOptimiser using a connection speed of 7mbps and it says the optimum setting for the MTU is 1500. Anyway, no matter what the stats say at any particular time of day, I cannot get a download speed higher than 2.950mbps. I've rebooted the modem when the line is noisey but that hasn't made any difference. It almost seems it's limited to 3mbps and cannot get through that barrier. Is this what being capped would do? Does any of this suggest I am capped? If so why, and how can I have it fixed?
      Cheers, JaX

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Can you tell if you're capped?

Sign in Here with your phone number and router username, this will show you your IP profile, which indicates if you have been capped by BT. On Connect, it takes 7-10 days for your line to 'settle' after which BT set it to the fastest stable speed.

rickinyorkshire is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I thought i'd try this bt test, but i get this error everytime:

Unexpected result received when querying the network to find your services connection details. Please try again shortly, but if this problem persists raise the issue with your service provider.

This just me or is the tester down?

Thanks

This will only work if you are on Connect, sorry. I don't know if there is an LLU equivalent.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      - - - - - - this will show you your IP profile, which indicates if you have been capped by BT. On Connect, it takes 7-10 days for your line to 'settle' after which BT set it to the fastest stable speed.
      @Isitme,
      Thanks for the link. I haven't been running ten days yet, but running the test gave me:
      IP Profile 5500 kbps
      Connection Rate Up 448 kbps
      Connection Rate Down 5824 kbps
      Actual IP throughput 3054 kbps

What does that tell me?

Cheers, JaX

Thanks

It shows that at the moment you have been capped at 5500. Have you been rebooting your router a couple of times every day. On Connect you should do this for the first 10 days. After that your line will have settled and your final profile will be set. Unfortunately, with most of Sky users being on LLUd, this is not pointed out when you first get your router. There is a good chance that CS Tier 1, don't even know about it. When the line is Unbundled, there is no need for this as the rate is adjusted automatically.

The rest tells you that although your router is syncing at 5824, you are only achieving a download speed of 3045. This may seem low, but it will improve. The unfortunate thing about being on Connect is that if your sync speed drops for any length of time your profile will drop with it, thus reducing your speed. Although it may drop for a very short time (I am not sure how long) it takes 3 days to get back up to speed.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@Isitme,
      Ah, right. I did a few reboots after reading about Noise Margin, but I didn't see any particular effect so left it. I will reboot twice a day for the next week and see what happens. Is there a good time to reboot? Should I reboot when my sync speed is 'high' or 'low' or doesn't it matter?
      Cheers, JaX

Thanks

I am not sure, but I don't think it matters, I know I never bothered when my line was training. One thing though, I think it is better to power the router of for a few minutes, rather than just rebooting it. I was advised to do it this way when I was with Plusnet, who for all the criticism they get, do have techs communicating with their customers on a regular basis.

I know at Plusnet the Bras profile was set by Plusnet as well as BT. Does anyone know if Sky do something similar or is it automatic?

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Hmmm... not sure if that info is right - when I was setting up with Virgin, I read somewhere on the www (possibly BT wholesale), that disconnecting and reconnecting or rebooting the router actually restarted the 3 day waiting period, and only after the router has been connected for 3 days and therefore stable, does the profile begin to increase. This is etched into my brain because it really irked me as Virgin 'tech support' first told me to disconnect 4-5 times a day. By the time I'd realised this, the 10 day training period was almost up and I got stuck with a rubbish Bras profile!!

One thing you may want to try is disconnecting the ringer wire, this eventually increased my connection speed (on Virgin) from 1.5meg to 5.5meg!! - Unfortunately it was too little too late, next day I moved to Sky and now have no probs whatsoever - syncing just shy of 8 meg!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Holy cripes, I'm confused again! I'm gonna start a new thread on rebooting.
      Cheers, JaX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast